GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first time of posting but I've been using the site for a number of months...

I recently got my hands on a 2000 R34 GTR v spec which has had a number of mods done to it by the previous owner in Japan. I believe its currently running at about 600bhp but haven't had it on a dyno yet.

I'm currently trying to identify the exhaust installed so I can compare it to a few other options with the idea of reducing the noise levels down a little.

There is no obvious identification marks on the exhaust apart from a JASMA members badge on the backbox which says "RO 051 E - Race Use Only" (pictures below). From what I can find I think the 051 is a code for HKS but that's all I know? It has a trust manifold and downpipe and also has a trust external wastegate.

Using an iphone app (not sure how accurate they are) I've measured 91db at idle, 111db at 4000 rpm and 117rpm at 6000 rpm.

Don't get me wrong, I love the existing sound but I don't think it will pass noise tests for track days and does get somewhat tiring from the droning while cruising / at low revs.

I'm looking at a HKS Hi-power (silent) exhaust as an option as I've heard good things. I'd also quite like a titanium one such as the Tomei Expreme TI but i'm not sure whether this will be just as loud as it is currently? My only concerns with the HKS-Hi Power (Silent) is that it might restrict flow a little, affecting power and whether it will still sound as good when you open it up?

Any help on identifying the exhaust would be appreciated or opinions on the exhausts i'm looking at.

Also if anyone has a HKS Hi-power (Silent) for sale i'd also be interested in that too

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
HKS Racing Ti.

4” stainless pipe with all titanium backbox.

Awesome exhaust. My favourite....I’m biased - have one on my R32. I added a Borla 4” mid box in mine to calm it a little.

·
Registered
25,437 Posts
tried posting this earlier but the site went down

Its an exhaust by HKS, referred to as "HKS Racing Ti Muffler" its designed not for street use, and track / race only. It's not shaken friendly In japan but hey few are these days

still desirable as its out of production and the flow is good for RB engines.

used price is around £1200 in japan.

i would not swap to HKS HI-silent, thats a cheap system, and is a down-grade to yours

TOMEI ti wont give you much (if anything) other than a) an expensive bill b) much louder noise

also your wastegates look like old design HKS not Trust.

all the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
HKS Racing Ti.

4” stainless pipe with all titanium backbox.

Awesome exhaust. My favourite....I’m biased - have one on my R32. I added a Borla 4” mid box in mine to calm it a little.
Thanks for reply. I agree, it is a great sounding exhaust but I could do with toning the noise down a little! How much did the mid box help? Would that reduce the "droning" at cruising speeds significantly? The other thing is I'm not sure if I would want to go cutting into it if its a decent system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tried posting this earlier but the site went down

Its an exhaust by HKS, referred to as "HKS Racing Ti Muffler" its designed not for street use, and track / race only. It's not shaken friendly In japan but hey few are these days

still desirable as its out of production and the flow is good for RB engines.

used price is around £1200 in japan.

i would not swap to HKS HI-silent, thats a cheap system, and is a down-grade to yours

TOMEI ti wont give you much (if anything) other than a) an expensive bill b) much louder noise

also your wastegates look like old design HKS not Trust.

all the best.

Cheers thanks for that. Glad to hear its a good system and impressed it still holds a decent 2nd hand value (although i'm not going to sell it 😆). Ok so if you think the HKS Hi-silent would be a downgrade, any ideas on an alternative that would maintain the power but reduce the noise to acceptable levels for cruising and track use?

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Mine was cut in two so it would fit EMS parcel so fitting the extra box was no issue.
Never run it without. Yes it is loud, but pleasant deep sound. I have a bolt in Apexi Active Tail Silencer for late night neighbourhood ‘stealth’ when required.

·
Registered
25,437 Posts
its A trade off between a rumble and something stock like

exhaust noise is very subjective

something Like mine’s or similar but looking at a high end of pricing

can go for cheaper alternatives but there’s a. Difference in quality

go for the hi silent but it’s the cheaper type of exhaust from Hks

·
Super Moderator
15,672 Posts
I notice you also seem to have an HKS racing cat which is a good addition. In all honesty there are very few exhausts for the R34 that aren't loud (other than stock), at least I've never heard any! What about getting a custom bung made? I've got one for my Tomei and it works quite well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts