GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a question.
I was told if i was to use a gtss with a rb28 there will be choke..
If i am looking at 500bhp, is the gtss a suitable turbo or i should consider something newer like the gt3ss?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have a question.
I was told if i was to use a gtss with a rb28 there will be choke..
If i am looking at 500bhp, is the gtss a suitable turbo or i should consider something newer like the gt3ss?

I would use something similar to the new gt3rs or 2530 as a minimum.

GT ss is too small.

I had 2530s on a 3ltr and they were very responsive but just too small.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Reactions: GTRNICK

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Who, in their right mind, would dump £3k on these???
That's just insane....and for what!!??

You could easily spend less than HALF that on different turbos and achieve similar results..

But then, I suppose you don't get to show off the amazing HKS branding to your mates..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Go figure...?

TT
Matty32 would :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Bit of a backward step going thrust bearings.
i noticed the tomei twins are also journal bearing. BBs are not as big a deal as they used to be for response with better design/aerodynamics these days, and journals are much cheaper to service/rebuild. still for the money these hks twins dont seem to make sense compared to a good modern single esp.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
A thrust bearing will always have more inherent friction compared to a steel ball bearing setup and now we're seeing more with ceramic ball bearings to reduce friction further

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
A thrust bearing will always have more inherent friction compared to a steel ball bearing setup and now we're seeing more with ceramic ball bearings to reduce friction further
yeah but if you can get most of the response with journals as with bbs then there is less justification for added initial and service costs. taking two turbos with the same specs, like for like, bbs vs journal, bbs win for sure, but if you can find a journal turbo with the same response as the available (more expensive) bb options why spend the extra?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,189 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Again not the turbos I was hoping for...
Need one with the response of a GTSS (-9), but with a little bit more top end.

GT3SS have less top end but a little bit more response if we look at the curve from the link above. Better buying -7 instead of them.
As I read it the new items come on a touch later than 2530s but have a touch more top end

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Alex I cannot think of why anyone would buy these turbos. At £3k plus they are more than double the price of Garrett -9 and -5 which have recently been upgraded to metal cages and ceramic bearings. One would have to be clueless to buy this setup considering the market is dominated by quality ball bearing turbos.

·
Registered
387 Posts
As I read it the new items come on a touch later than 2530s but have a touch more top end
Yes, the GT3RS do this over the 2530

But the GT3SS have a touch less top end than the GTSS/2510/Garrett-9 Turbos

No p&p turbo upgrade is the other way

About the price, as far as I remember, the GTSS Kit from HKS also was around 2.5k
Remember it includes all necessary gaskets. Still more expensive than buying Garrett -9 and original Nissan gaskets.
But this time it isn't the same turbo as a Garrett. If it would meet my requirements for a turbo, I woudn't give a shit about the price.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Alex I cannot think of why anyone would buy these turbos. At £3k plus they are more than double the price of Garrett -9 and -5 which have recently been upgraded to metal cages and ceramic bearings. One would have to be clueless to buy this setup considering the market is dominated by quality ball bearing turbos.
I agree these new hks kits don't look competitive in the current market. As long as -7/9s and -5s are available they are a no brainer really for low mount twins.

my point was about journal vs bb in general. I used to discount journal turbos, but things have moved on. I wouldnt discount these hks kits purely because they are journal, but they are too expensive and the performance doesnt look that special at all.

As for who would buy the hks kits, plenty of people no doubt, and they'd probably be very happy with them, that £1500 price difference is not all that much to many people, and the hks kits have always been dear. Still, factor in the cost of a simple rebuild on a journal vs a re-core for a bb and that price difference narrows a fair amount in terms of TCO - not enough though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is there a comparison done between the 2530 and -5s?
I keep hearing that the 2530s are superior to the -5s, but i really would like to see a direct comparison like those from HKS for their turbos.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I keep hearing that the 2530s are superior to the -5s, but i really would like to see a direct comparison like those from HKS for their turbos.

Good luck with that.

It's gonna be hard to find 2530's now ive sold mine.

If I were you I'd go for a nice single turbo. Much less headache these days. Or just go for the -5s.

·
Registered
387 Posts

Lots of information on the Australian Skyline Forum. SAU.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts