GTR Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
FRRACER,

i was doing some more looking, and it seems that garrett's newer turbos has the GTX prefix.
Is there a GTX model that is similar to the GT2860RS?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
No. They have updated the GT2860 turbos internally with ceramic ball bearings and metal cages. They are not GTX.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just received the issue 12 of option mag.. next year will be release the all new hks t51 GT III capable of 1000/1100ps

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been searching for a while now but I still don't have clear answers on some questions regarding some of these turbos. I'd appreciate any guidance here:

1. For bolt-on, low mount twin turbos with a max potential crank HP of ~450-500HP, is the Garrett -7 or -9 best for the power target? Which would spool the fastest?

2. Does anyone know what the new -7 and -9 model numbers are with SiN/ceramic ball bearings? Some Google suggests that the -9 with ceramic ball bearings is 836026-2 but only for one german turbo site.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I've been searching for a while now but I still don't have clear answers on some questions regarding some of these turbos. I'd appreciate any guidance here:

1. For bolt-on, low mount twin turbos with a max potential crank HP of ~450-500HP, is the Garrett -7 or -9 best for the power target? Which would spool the fastest?

2. Does anyone know what the new -7 and -9 model numbers are with SiN/ceramic ball bearings? Some Google suggests that the -9 with ceramic ball bearings is 836026-2 but only for one german turbo site.
If you mean CRANK HP figures, then I believe the -7's are up to the task with best response. I have -9's and feels about the same (stock engine) in terms of spool to the stock ceramic turbos, yet I made 480awhp on stock ECU/ENGINE but boosting 22 PSI and free flow exhaust system (3" NISMO/TOMEI no CAT)

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you mean CRANK HP figures, then I believe the -7's are up to the task with best response. I have -9's and feels about the same (stock engine) in terms of spool to the stock ceramic turbos, yet I made 480awhp on stock ECU/ENGINE but boosting 22 PSI and free flow exhaust system (3" NISMO/TOMEI no CAT)
Is there any harm in running less boost through a -9 as far as response goes? It looks like the -7 is cutting it close and looking at the actual spec of the two turbos they seem more similar than alike.

Sold a set of -9 a few weeks ago. They are 836026-5002S/ GT2859R
Thank you.

·
Registered
189 Posts

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. From what I can tell they are so similar that there really isn't much of a difference hence why there aren't any results and it almost comes down to personal preference or price.

One thing I have noted is the adjustable garrett actuators that come with the -7 and others are ever so slightly smaller than the HKS branded ones. Assume this means the HKS units will be stronger and hold boost that little be better.

I will probably buy a set of -7 for my car since they were original N1 equipment, but might also buy a set of 2nd hand -9 to compare back to back. Although this will be some years down the line.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Stock actuators have a weaker springs compared to HKS items. On the dyno found them not able to hold much more than 1.35. HKS has gone well up to 1.7 bar so far.

·
Registered
856 Posts
^ Will be in stock end of next month in Europe.

The GTIII-SS and GTIII-RS are available for next day - 2 days delivery in Europe.

Just for info :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
To do a major thread bump, I actually ended up buying the HKS GTIII-SS turbos after a lot of hemming and hawwing. Multiple people have said it's actually a substantially smaller turbo than the -9s, hence why it makes less power. More comparable to -7s if anything, but with more modern compressor/turbine design for much faster spool.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe this has already been said somewhere and I've overlooked it, but AFAIK the -9, -7, etc. are Garrett GT series-based ball bearing turbos and the GTIII are Mitsubishi journal bearing turbos, so they're not really directly comparable. I'm sure they work well just the same as the inducer/compressor wheels probably have better aerodynamics than the old ones but I've heard they're not quite as durable.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe this has already been said somewhere and I've overlooked it, but AFAIK the -9, -7, etc. are Garrett GT series-based ball bearing turbos and the GTIII are Mitsubishi journal bearing turbos, so they're not really directly comparable. I'm sure they work well just the same as the inducer/compressor wheels probably have better aerodynamics than the old ones but I've heard they're not quite as durable.
Not sure this makes sense to me, why would they be less durable?

The GTIII-SS really interested me because of this dyno chart, done by a US-based tuner:

But their tuning methodology may be different, I see them getting pretty crazy results from twin turbos compared to singles.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts