1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Need some advice...

HKS GT-SS Vs HKS GT2530 turbos ?

Anyone know the difference in real world terms ?

Engine they will be fitted to is :

R32 GTR with standard internals
HKS Stage 1 Cams
HKS Frontmount I/C
700cc Injectors & HKS fuel rail
HKS englarged Elbows
Uprated Fuel pump
Uprated Fuel reg
Apexi Power FC
HKS Type R Twin plate clutch

Looking for @1.2bar boost setting ?

I'm not looking to replace the bottom end or gearbox...

I have already bought rebuilt R34GTR steel internal turbos which I was going to put on there but I kinda figured if I'm doing all this to the engine, then I might as well sell them and pay a little bit more moeny for the bigger HKS turbos and avoid wanting to change them again in 6-12 months time for something better.

I want this to be a one go upgrade due to cost involved with turbo swop labour and re-mapping.

I'm not too fussed about more lag....a long as it spools up by @4K then that's cool with me.

On another hand though, I dont tend to rev my engine that high so not after something that's going to need me to rev it to 7.5K....usually change up at 6.5K as according to my dyno graphs this is where power tails off on my standard R32 turbos....plus I dont want to kill my engine !

From the limited info I can find on the web, the GT2530's are slightly bigger then GT-SS hence will be more laggy but more powerful high up the RPM range.....that right ?

Cheers, G.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
what bhp are you looking for ?

If you are after 500 ish then go for the GTSS as they will spool up faster and suit the car better, if you are going for more and want to be able to uprate the power further down the line then GT2530's would be better.

However instead of going down the HKS route - why not take a look at the equivalent garett items GT2680R -7 (almost same as GTSS) and GT2860R -5 (almost same as GT2530's)

I have the -5's and so far the reults from everyone are showing that there is hardly no difference at all between these and the HKS items in terms of performance - however they are half the price !!

If you are keeping the internals std then i'd go for the GT2860R -7's which will see you with 500hp and fast spool up.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to say what BHP I'm looking for really ?

I thought to start with I'd be happy with my stage 1 mods which made 343.1BHP and 301 lb/ft on Abbeys dyno.

However less then a month later, the car just doesnt FEEL that quick to me anymore. It's relatively quick for sure and keeps up with most things but I want something that really pushes me back into my seat and makes me go WOOOOOOOOO !

In an ideal world it'd be nice to go out in some other peoples R32 GTRs that have been tuned more then mine to see what I want.....I'm open to offers guys by the way guys ;)

So the GT2530's are more laggy then GT-SS's then...by how much ? Enough to spoil drivability ?

Like I said before I really dont want to get into engine or gearbox rebuilds.

I'm taking the car off the road for the winter, as it's so mint, I really dont want to risk spoiling it by driving it in the rain (have a company car to use) plus this gives me the time to buy all the bits I need and have them all fitted and set up in one go.

Cheers for your advice guys, I'll have a search about and come back if I have any more questions.

On a seperate note, I've been thinking....if I need to upgrade my AFMs to the Z32 ones (dont know yet) considering their price, am I not just better off selling my Power FC and buying a HKS Fcon Pro and run it without AFMs ? Got to work out about the same sort of money hasnt it and means I'd never have AFM problems.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
for 1.2bar boost, I don't really see a need to go with Z32 afms.

2530s make really good power, and they lag but not like a big single or a monster double setup. In the whole scheme of things 2530s are not that big really. 1.4bar with 2530s was enough to frighten me, and I'm pretty suicidal behind the wheel as it is.

I've never driven a car with GT-SS but they seem to be the go-to turbo for response. Your map will be just as critical as your hardware choices.

I love the Power FC mostly because it's user-tunable. Fcon or PFC D-jetro, eh, I dont' really see the point behind going to MAP sensors and ditching MAFs - MAPs will max out at your set boost pressure even if air flow is still increasing. With MAFs you always have a thumb on the air *volume* going into the engine, and if they get restrictive, you can always go bigger - Z32 or Q45.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you are looking for response, rev to about 6.5k ish, and no gearbox or engine rebuild, go for the GT-SS.

You have the engine specs for the turbo, and for either turbo you will need the Z32 MAF. Standard MAF sensor runs out of juice around 450bhp, so you will need it. I have heard people taking more out of the standard MAF, but I am pretty sure you will need it at this stage of the tune. Twin RB25 MAF (green stickers) is another options.

Also, if you want to run 1.2 bar (maybe 1.3 bar), you will be better off with the GT-SS as you will be closer to the effective "range" of the turbo. The 2350 ideally like around 1.4-1.6bar of boost.

You will be happy with either choice, but I will suggest the GT-SS base on your requirement.

·
Registered
520 Posts
2530`s

2530`s at 1.4 bar are fookin brill - not laggy at all - std cams - 600 cc inj.

Cant recommend them enough - Had std steels before with 1.4 bar and difference in grunt with 2530`s is unblievable, As has been pointed out
here 2530s arent big turbos for the gtr and for std 2.6 litre engine are perfect, Am considering keeping these with 3.0 litre engine in future..

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Lag should not really figure on the 2530's. If you want a car to drive you can't go wrong with these. The RB26 like to rev and is suited to these IMO.

It is always horses for courses but 2530's are a great fix unitl the next overdraft :)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I had GT-SS with 260 poncams and found it just phenomenal. Mine suprised quite a few serious power cars as it was just so lag free by comparison to those running 2530s and 2540s. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

·
Registered
597 Posts
if you like the response of your car now but more, then gt-ss/equiv, if you prefer a larger kick but later (~1K later) then 2530/equiv, however, thats about 5K and with std engine, i change gear at an indicated 7k ish making it a 2k rev range to play with.

other mods will increase the range but at extra cost.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
if you like the response of your car now but more, then gt-ss/equiv, if you prefer a larger kick but later (~1K later) then 2530/equiv, however, thats about 5K and with std engine, i change gear at an indicated 7k ish making it a 2k rev range to play with.

other mods will increase the range but at extra cost.

Hmmm....2530's boosting at 5k??......you sure......cos mine come in way before that!

·
Registered
832 Posts
GT-SS are a great choice. No more lag than stock and pull hard. BUT, maybe they are too good and you will not get that "hit" that most turbo powered car drivers crave. They come in early/smooth. Daily driver, around town, or on a tarmac wrc course absolutely my first choice.
A big, laggy, single T88 (like mine) hitting 2.1 bar in 3rd gear at 120km/h, now that's fear!!!!:clap:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hmmm....2530's boosting at 5k??......you sure......cos mine come in way before that!
on mine, with uk mapped fconSZ and std internals, peak torque was 352lbft ath at approx 4750rpm set to 1.2bar boost, 1bar by ~4300rpm, so i feel the kick coming up to 5k, my mates std engine with gt-ss had a curve similar to std turbos but higher figures (same hub dyno).

This is on standard internals, on std turbos and gt-ss, i feel the rush at around 4000rpm.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for all the comments guys, wasnt expecting to get so many.

Hmmmmm your all confusing me now....LOL...I just dunno which to go for !

I had pretty much talked myself into GT-SS's by last night but after reading this mornings update on this thread, I'm now worried by what ROADIE & V1H have said that you dont get that 'hit' with the GT-SS's....are you saying you'd get more of a noticable hit with the GT2530's ?

I do like the kick of turbos....my standard R32GTR ones at the moment are on full boost (1 Bar) between 2500-3000RPM and they're very, very smooth....can hardly feel them....probably why I'm not happy with current setup.

Dan @ Abbey said they spooled up really quickly for some reason, when he mapped it.

My car's not a daily driver, to be honest I'm lucky if I get to drive it once a week ! Got company Lexus for the everyday M25 hell journey so I'm not too fussed about lag/drivability.

I guess I should really try and get taken out in 2 GTRs....one with GT-SS and one with GT2530's.....anyone around the South London, Kent, Essex area up for giving me a demo ? Or anyone going to the AGM/Xmas Meal tomorrow ?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Was reading this thread thinkin of a member called nick....Ah NickMW.... there you are, @ snowfiend Hes your man.have a chat with Nick as he stated he ran gt-ss turbos and found them to be great.Should drop him a pm. He knows hes stuff.Hope this helps deef

·
Registered
130 Posts
on mine, with uk mapped fconSZ and std internals, peak torque was 352lbft ath at approx 4750rpm set to 1.2bar boost, 1bar by ~4300rpm, so i feel the kick coming up to 5k, my mates std engine with gt-ss had a curve similar to std turbos but higher figures (same hub dyno).

This is on standard internals, on std turbos and gt-ss, i feel the rush at around 4000rpm.

Something seems wrong there man. I would bomb HKS if it took 5krpm to spool the 2530's, like Lamb said mine were in waay before that.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I just removed a good pair of low-mileage GT-SS from my R34GTR and they are at GTARt. They gave my car 450bhp at the wheels with cams, HKS intercooler, forged pistons etc... They also gave pretty much instant response from suprisingly low revs. Changing them as the engine is out for a big upgrade including a stroker kit and 2835's.

·
R35 Section manager
11,259 Posts
I have GTss fitted to my Gtr33. They are brilliant. They spool low as stated earlier, which makes them great for B road over taking. I had a play with a Ferrari 360 (Theres a thread I started on it a few months back) and the Gtss did me proud on 1.2 bar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GT2530

for 1.2bar boost, I don't really see a need to go with Z32 afms.

2530s make really good power, and they lag but not like a big single or a monster double setup. In the whole scheme of things 2530s are not that big really. 1.4bar with 2530s was enough to frighten me, and I'm pretty suicidal behind the wheel as it is.

I've never driven a car with GT-SS but they seem to be the go-to turbo for response. Your map will be just as critical as your hardware choices.

I love the Power FC mostly because it's user-tunable. Fcon or PFC D-jetro, eh, I dont' really see the point behind going to MAP sensors and ditching MAFs - MAPs will max out at your set boost pressure even if air flow is still increasing. With MAFs you always have a thumb on the air *volume* going into the engine, and if they get restrictive, you can always go bigger - Z32 or Q45.

Mines "high response" R34 used GT2530 with high lift cams, BUT with lighter carbon propel shaft and shorter final gear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts