GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week a Turbokit from HKS arrived...

HKS GT-SS

Straight from HKS in the box seald and closed, everything labbeled with HKS !!

Verry nice package with seals and gaskets and everything you want.

I took out a turbo to invest closely.

no HKS labels whatsoever on the turbo anymore.. the last ones i got where labbeled all over..

NO LOGO nowhere. and more..

ALL was just labeld like it was a complete off the shelve GARRET VERSION..

person who where them for stood next to me and went completly APESHIT as he order HKS and not GARRET. while in the beginning he had doubts in chosing either on of them.. but in the end went for HKS and payed a lot more to be SHURE.

so we started to unpack some garrett ones i had sitting around..

Geuss what.... EVEN THE STUPID LABEL ON THE BEARING HOUSING sad Exeactly the same... so we started opening housings up and measuring thing up... took us 2 hours to at least try to find ANY diffrence...

to be shure... and me thinking i was starting to go nuts... i went to my turbo rebuilder.... both tutbo's where EXACLTY the same...

HKS GT-SS is EXACTLY the same as the GARRET BASE VERSION not even labbeled with HKS

so my buddy payed 1000 euro more and as he liked HKS logo's on it etc.. nope.. nothinh just an off the shelf GARRET ONE in an HKS BOX.

100 EURO for a PAPER BOX with HKS letters and a wrapped gasket kit...

WELL DONE HKS. BE PROUD!

the least you guys could to was porth the turbo for that money..

greetz

GIVE ME ONE GOOD REASON TO BUY HKS TURBO's THE NEXT TIME !

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Don't get upset, but what did you expect? I'm tired of all this "JDM" crap all over Europe, JDM this, JDM that, mostly with the Honda crowd here.

The Japanese use Recaro/Bilstein/Eibach/Farndon/Cosworth/ whatever because they think it's cool. Some stuff you buy is simply relabeled stuff that was made in Europe. And as they need to make a living, it's more expensive then buying the original Stuff here.
Hell, even JUN W-Series Pistons are Wössner, Made in Germany. Can't think why anyone from Europe should/would buy them in Japan?!

Some of this stuff is WAY overpriced for what it is, but some guys (mostly those that sell them and people who have bought that stuff before and need an excuse for there dumbness) lift this stuff high up into the heavens, like it's something really special and you can't get it no where else.

This has nothing to do with getting regular parts from Japan, like cam belt tensioner and idler pulley, which cost 100 Euros each here in Germany, but like 50 Euros at RHDJapan or being "thight". This also isn't an Attack against HKS, the need to make money, and some people are happy with getting those Turbos.

I'm just curious why some people think that PROVEN parts here from Europe are so "bad" and you absolutely HAVE to buy this JDM this/JDM that for much more then its worth. We (Europeans) need to make up our mind and trust our own products more. They're great!

Just my two (Euro-) Cents ...

Marc

PS: I know that Garrett isn't an European product ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just keep thining that people just want to be scammed and ripped.

cause this is just Bull... and if you ask HKS dealer or HKS they tell you thet have done something to it to make it better.

WELL THEY PACKED IT IN A BETTER BOX!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
is it the newer turbos from hks that they do this?

the older generation hks turbos like 2530 and 2540 definitely had hks marking on the comp body plus didnt have any garrett equivalent so maybe they buuilt or develped themselves... ?

what happened to hks now anyone know?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it the newer turbos from hks that they do this?

the older generation hks turbos like 2530 and 2540 definitely had hks marking on the comp body plus didnt have any garrett equivalent so maybe they buuilt or develped themselves... ?

what happened to hks now anyone know?

Yes I know i orderd HKS before and last 2 sets game like this.

Earlier order sets always where completely label with HKS.

no idea if they where diffrent then. never checked that since they obvious where HKS and asumed HKS at least did somethng to them.

so whats true whats not thrue.

today made some calls anonimously to some dealers and go dthe answer that HKS was DIFFRENT for sure from garret.

NOT! well not the last to GT-RS and GT-SS i had at least.

would love the recieve a good explanation on this matter.

greetz.

·
Registered
726 Posts
interesting l was looking at GT-SS will now need to do more reserch

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well what suprise us here the post is..

Usualy people start to fly on a topic like this like Flies on some Fresh Shite...

But.. on this topic it stays completely Quit to the norms we expected.

have been calling HKS alot to ask the question but or not returning any calls.

defo need an answer as my friend is feeling seriously Foocked. as i understand.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Guess the problem is that most people don't buy HKS Turbos and their Garret equivalents just to compare them (or know any dealers who has lying around some sets just as in your case).

Most people believe in HKS stands for top quality...

When you look at the HKS products page of hte GTSS you can clearly see that they are branded Garret on the housing...

... differnce of the HKS package I guess is that you get along with the 2860R-9 (hope this is correct???) a set of gaskets and that HKS strengthened actuators should be attached to the turbos.

I doubt that HKS is really producing their own turbos, I guess they let produce their turbos from Garret and perhaps if HKS wants to alter a housing, they could be branded HKS (think this was the case of the 2530).

And HKS isn't the only company that let produce their turbos from Garret...
... correct me if I'm wrong but aren't even the Tomei Arms turbos branded Garret too???

The replacment for the HKS 2530 is the newer 2530 KAI which is now availabe for RB26 as twin setup. From looking at their products page they are still branded as HKS.

The question is if the probable changes/modifications (if there are any) to their equivalent Garret 2860R-5 are really worth paying an extra 1k (apart from getting the same package with gaskets and strengthened actuators as you get with the GTSS)...

·
Registered
112 Posts
AFIK all HKS turbos come with the compressor housing marked with a moulded HKS logo. Without this it wouldn't be possible to tell what turbos are fitted once on the car.

Are you sure you haven't bought from a dodgy trader and been sold some turbos which didn't originally come from HKS? Ebay seller, perhaps?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
first of all.

I KNOW all types of turbos and their varriants of garret at HKS.
I am Perfectly home in what to buy or not I've been doing this for quit a while already.

BUT

Never before recieved from HKS this kit in this setup.
I mean.
Usualy the HKS version is indeed completely labeld with HKS. a noob with no information would not see if they where garret then.

Now the kit I have is just a Complete Garret Kit with a package of HKS labels in a HKS box Deliverd FROM HKS like they didn't take the efford anymore of pasting on there logo.

I don't give #### what they do with it... but.. i don't like the idea of paying more for HKS because The promise you UPRATED version of the Garret one and in the end just send you a Garret one. me myself use garret anyway. because i know the Diffrence is useless. BUT

A person that choses HKS over Garret because he expects a 1000+ euro more on quality then and recieves the same... kinda frustraiting and rip off feeling i guess.

The boxes we recieved where just orded from HKS , HKS boxe, HKS numbers on it, HKS labels, HKS closed box... but.... Garret Turbo' s inside, labeld garret only all over it, only a Package with Seals and Rings from HKS in it.

thats not worth a 1000 euro i asume?

3,666 Posts
All HKS turbo,s are different spec than Garret , but Garret do make HKS turbo,s.

HKS develop the turbo,s with Garret , but the Garret (cheaper) turbo,s are not the same as the HKS turbo,s.

I feel the HKS turbo,s always perform better then the garret blowers due to better spec of the A/R,s and turbo wheel specs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if you bring a HKS turbo to Garret rebuild shop and the rebuild it.. they don't rebuild it with the same spec?

cause what we see ( on the outside of the turbo and sizes it is a copy of the garret one) is no diffrence, so where is the diffrence visable then?

and yes i have turbo's from HKS befor wich where labeld well. But no these don't and thats what worries me.

Could be a repacked item from garret? or there illegal copy versions on the market?

That is our qeustion.

I can show pics of the BOX if needed al is FUlly HKS

but in the box is a what seems off the shelfe Garret turbo from Garret Japan which the label says.

3,666 Posts
Yes the interansl in the HKS turbo will be different to what Garret can supply , you can have them rebuilt but you may need to change the spec.

Even if the outside dimensions are the same the internal spec can be different , the turbine/compressor wheels can be different sizes , the turbine/compressor housings can be different spec inside.

We have fitted numerous GT-SS kits that we find work far better then the Garret parts and you have no worry that they are counterfits.

Youi have nothing to worry about. just fit them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts