GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had some HKS Iridium sparkplugs for a while and I'm going to drop them in when my new exhaust arrives.

I'll be running 1.2 bar on 98 Octane fuel..........

Suggestions on gap for these little suckers ?

Cheers
Fraser

:smokin:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now has no one replied because this is too hard a question or because it's one of those things you've just got to experiment with ??

Anyone got a simple explanation of the effects of Iridium Sparkys over normal and the differences the gaps make ???????

Cheers from NZ

Fraser

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Iridium plugs.

Hi Frazer,

I fitted a set of iridium plugs at the same time as fitting the Power FC, etc. so any difference they did or didn't make was lost in the whole process. I was advised to fit them when upping boost to maintain a good spark I guess because the charge is denser under higher boost conditions. The only noticeable difference was that I had been experiencing an intermittent miss very occasionally under full boost which disappeared afterwards.

The procedure for fitting them, as you already know no doubt, is hardly straight forward. I'd fitted plugs before, many years prior but I have to admit that I never expected the amount of work involved in simply swapping some plugs over.

As for gap, no idea I'm afraid although I guess I did at the time. What heat range plugs have you got? I fitted HKS S45 which are 9 on the NGK range. Let me know and I'll find out.

HTH.

Peter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
iridium plugs

We sell the Greddy plugs (made by NGK) but I guess they should be the same as the HKS ones'. The deal is, you fit them as they come out of the box (about 0.7mm) If you gap them wider like the stock plugs, they will misfire and probably destroy their electrodes. For a 1.2 bar car on 98 octane, I would suggest a -8 heat range. Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice fellas.

The plugs are made by Nippon Denso, and they're marked S35i

Anyone tell me if these will be OK............as I said before R34, 1.2Bar and 98 Octane.................

How do these relate to the S45 plugs refered to earlier ? Hotter colder etc

Cheers
Fraser

1 - 5 of 5 Posts