GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have asked this question before but never found the answer so i will try again!

Does anyone have a HKS AF + knock amp fitted and working on a R34 GTR?

i have the air fuel but cant get the knock to work.

i have tried settings out someone else that works (r33) but they dont work on my 34.

However i can hear knock if you plug the earphones in.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I may have said this on the last thread about this. I was told by an HKS rep at a show that the knock doesn't work very well on the knock amp - there is however a new version out now which does work and has a lot of extra features...

I asked about a trade in on my existing knock amp given that I bought it expecting it to work, and they said they would "see what they could do" it's on my list for the spring!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i recall that kind of reply!

But i know for a fact that there are cars in japan and some in the u.k with it working.

So why wont it work on my car? And i cant belive it dont work or hks would of recalled the product years ago before selling thousands of units and upsetting alot of people.

My unit was working fine on a R32 GTR before it was fitted in my car.

I can only think that there is something different on a 34 that can be changed in the settings but maybe the translation of the jap to english settings are wrong?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I'm with Malcolm on this. Can SOMEONE please post on here who has the earlier HKS Knock-Amp on their car and can assure us/prove the dam thing really works. I have never seen one that does (32/33 or 34) and it really is to HKS shame that the kit neither does what it says on the box and is fit for purpose. The 'mark 2' alledgedly does, but given the history on this one even that could be questioned! Yes, I'm being contentious, but having paid over £400 for the 'single' sensor version that does not work I've every right to be!

DaveG

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine was on a 32gtr and yes it was working!

also freakazoid3 has his working! I have tried his settings but they dont work on mine.

However the problem seems to be on 34 gtr. They work on 32 and 33.

There are others but i cant remember there user names. All on 32 and 33's tho

Maybe we should all complain to hks and demand a new one!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I have a 33 and its never worked on mine. My HKS display happily gives me AFR readings but zip on knock. When people say it 'worked on theirs' exactly what do they mean by it worked? The whole point of having the V-PRO, Knock-Amp and all the other HKS kit was to achieve a fully integrated, interoperable package, but it doesn't.

DaveG

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the people who say it worked had the knock reading as well as the air fuel.

but like you say it dont seem to work!

It has to be a setting as it does work on a very limited number of cars.

·
Registered
736 Posts
from a logical standpoint the only thing i can think of would be that R33 and R32 GTr's have different voltage ratings for the knock system... think about the whol ECU thing in general, 33/32 share same ecu... 34 is different...

its gotta be that it needs to be recalibrated for the r34 so it can understand the knock signals its recieving...

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Mine worked for quite some time although I have no idea if the knock reading is fine or not. But since taking it out of my R32 GTR to paint the inside of my car and putting it back in later it seems it doesn't want the show me AFR's anymore?

But I haven't tried the set it up again either but I'll get on to that in about a week or so ;)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
What was the early vs late version? how to distinguish?

The one I have on my r34 I purchased maybe, er, 8 months ago.
it displays A/F ratio, or LEA. Looks like the current EVC control panel.

it displays whatever the maximum knock number is so far. Driving around like a regular person (ha ha) I see less than 10 by the end of the drive. Of course it starts out displaying 0. Boosting in 2nd up a hill, I saw "68" held for display. I think "100" is the max.

My previous tuner, who installed it, left it so that it would always show 0, except when I caught a tank of bad premium. Then it showed knocking on heavy boost close to 100, and I felt the torque stutter. Needless to say I avoided boost until the tank emptied out!

The f-con that goes with it is set to pull timing if knock rises over a threshold. I'm not sure what mine was set to sensitivity wise etc etc in fact i can't locate the manual. Will ask the tuner next time I am in how he set it up and how accurate it is. I'd like the audible alarm option set. I'm not sure that it is.
That sounds like the new knock amp with black led display box which looks the same as the new evc 6 boost controller. The new one works fine according to HKS but a review from someone using it would be much appreciated - any probs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts