1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this and have never seen it before:

Click Me

Anyone know if there any good? I'm trying to find a manual or something for it but not found one yet, also trying to decide if you can adjust the frequency filtering on there...

Anyone ever used one?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this and have never seen it before:

Click Me

Anyone know if there any good? I'm trying to find a manual or something for it but not found one yet, also trying to decide if you can adjust the frequency filtering on there...

Anyone ever used one?
what does "knock" mean?:flame: :nervous:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I thought it was rubbish.

The A/F knock amp on the other hand is excellent imho.

Cheers
Nito

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The knock monitor uses a piezo microphone/sensor which has to be positioned somewhere in the engine bay, it's difficult to locate it properly as it doesn't have any fixings, all you can really do is cable tie it somewhere.

You also get all the engine noise with it and transmission noises and it doesn't have any visual warnings, you just plug the headphones in so it can be used for tuning if you get it setup adequately but there are too many other noises about. With the knock amp you can clearly see the spikes of knock.

The A/F knock amp wires into your existing knock sensors, allows you to adjust for frequencies and filter out engine noise, you can plug headphones into it to verify and setup, you can connect wideband lambda to it, it has an output to retard timing. It's difficult to setup initially, but once cracked its brilliant, unfortunately a lot of people don't persevere with it and take full advantage.

Cheers
Nito

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The A/F Knock amp does sound like the one to have, i guess with everything you get what you pay for!

Thanks again Nito :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I believe the plx device has also a filtering option and datalogging function.

"Engine Knock Noise Calibration:

The R-500 implements an advanced knock detection algorithm. Your engine's background knock noise can be normalized with respect to your RPM. Since all vehicles exhibit different noise characteristics, the R-500 can be setup to neutralize your engine's background noise. The R-500 is capable of displaying raw knock volts or normalized knock volts giving you a very power tool for maximizing your engine's timing"

PLX Devices Inc.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
you can plug headphones into the HKS unit??

Well, there's my answer then. I'll plug my wideband sensor into that for my AFR needs, and output the audio into my Aux 2 channel on my stereo, and listen to filtered engine noise as I drive :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the plx device has also a filtering option and datalogging function.

"Engine Knock Noise Calibration:

The R-500 implements an advanced knock detection algorithm. Your engine's background knock noise can be normalized with respect to your RPM. Since all vehicles exhibit different noise characteristics, the R-500 can be setup to neutralize your engine's background noise. The R-500 is capable of displaying raw knock volts or normalized knock volts giving you a very power tool for maximizing your engine's timing"

PLX Devices Inc.
Filtered knock volts is different to filtered audio AFAIK

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you can plug headphones into the HKS unit??

Well, there's my answer then. I'll plug my wideband sensor into that for my AFR needs, and output the audio into my Aux 2 channel on my stereo, and listen to filtered engine noise as I drive :D
Gotta be better then just using the PFC value hey Kismet ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts