GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was at GT-aRt yesterday and I was holding the new steel crank & compairing it with the standard cast one out of one of the other Skylines in his Garage.WHAT a piece of Kit!!!!Beautiful and the Nismo Bearings, they are an absolute a work of art.......

Henry:D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Parts to make you weep.

Yeah know what you meen Henry.

My pal has just had some mega Trust/Nismo etc., internals fitted to his RB26 at AbbeyMotorsport and I was lucky enough to see all the bits going in before it was built. Superb.

Along with that my T78 kit, also fitted by the same guys, looks the nuts. Just seeing the manifold, oooooh it should be in the Tate Modern.

See Ya.

T6KYO

ps Is your brother going on the Track Day ???

·
Registered
547 Posts
Steel Crank

So what benefit does the new crank give? Is it stronger; or just stroke change or everything and more :)

And what do the Nismo bearings offer the owner?

cheers

·
Registered
212 Posts
call me cranky

Hello everyone. Forgive my ignorance, but from my standpoint the replacement crank offers absolutely nothing unless it has been made to deliver a different total cc. When looking for 2.7 or 2.8, they are the way to go, and agreed, they look the part too (The Trust one is even made with stock shaped counterweights, dunno about the HKS version),not that you can see the thing when its in the engine. But lets not forget the stock crank here, because Henry, surely it is not cast iron, its forged steel, making it just as strong as a
billet one. Maybe Gary could get his metallurgical gear out to confirm this as it seems to be a common comment from owners (never heard it from a tuner before)maybe cars that go to Yokohama have a cast iron one and cars that are for Tokyo get the forging. Dont think so. And the Nismo bearings, well they are a quality race bearing nothing more nothing less

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crank

Hi Tim & others,
CAST IRON CRANK! I didnt say that,where?
2,000REVS extra with the right hardware & software thats why.!!
As Glen has said the quaility is beautiful to see first hand before the bits go inside.HKS steel cranks are very different from the standard issue crank but I couldnt be bothered to go into any detail,I will just let my cars do the talking....Kiss my arse,thats all you will see.

And one more thing,why bring Gary at GT-aRt into it for a bad attempt at a piss- take,you should admire his quaility work,20 years of building turbo engines and a nice bloke who never slags off any of the other Skyline Garages.Remember the last two dyno-days,2-0 to me,3-0 in October?.........

Thankyou very much,

HENRY.
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
547 Posts
HKS Crank

Hi Henry,

I'm genuinly interested in the differences in the HKS kit over stock, and what enables it to go to +2,000rpm ... is this what the 400R had (as that revved around this much)?

Cheers

·
Registered
212 Posts
oooohhhhhhh!

Hello Henry
I wasnt taking the mick, merely responding to your comment. 'the stock cast one' was what you said in your initial post. And taking a cheap stab at Gary. Well I have no axe to grind over Gary, I have only ever spoken to him twice to my knowledge. But wasnt the car he brought along on dyno day one the car that detted itself off the rollers (see Red line mag) ? Anyway you are still missing my point . A forged steel crank (in my arse kissing opinion) is as strong as a billet. Possibly stronger. The only reason tuners use a billet is because for small volume production (in a different stroke to stock)its impossible to afford the forging. If the bottom end is dynamically balanced I cant see why the rev potential is any difference, what stops the extra 2k is the con rods. Would anyone else like to enter the argument ? And kissing your arse, well I am sure you are correct. No-one has ever been under neath my head gasket so my car for one cant possibly match your internals. I only hope one shows up that can.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HKS Crank.........

Hi,
Just a quick post to let you know that Tim & I have sorted out any problems and I don't fancy anyone kissing my arse, especially Tim!
The red GT-R run at the Dyno Day by Gary was a customer's car that had been droped off the day before and had NOT been set up or serviced or even washed!!!!
Two weeks later at the Mini-Dyno Day where Joss, Peter E and I and others ran our cars, Gary's customer's car produced a good 397BHP at 1bar with no Dett. :)

The HKS steel crank is specially made for the 2.6litre engine to rev upto and above 10,000 revs but you have to have the other parts to go with it. It comes FULLY balanced. It is part of the package HKS supplied for the Beast to produce what it has so far; HKS are the World's largest and arguably the best Jap performance parts supplier. I for one am out of my depth to go into any more detail, I build HOUSES & FACTORIES for a living not engines. Phone or Email Gary at GT-aRt (see the Garages section in this forum) and ask him.
Nismo bearings are race bearings: they allow more oil flow, are built to take more abuse and, as I have just paid for a full set, a lot more expensive.

My typing finger hurts, must go and rest it.

Kind regards,
Henry.:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Cheers Henry

I also put GT-ART into the Links and Technical|Tuning bit of the main site today :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
HKS vs Stock Forged Steel

I don't have any ideas on certain specs of the HKS crank kit, but if I can take a guess that the kit would cost about 3k and more. Wouldn't that money be better spent on larger turbos, porting and other things to battle lag? Standard billet steel does not offer any more strength benefits except for lighter rotating mass weight benefits. The stock forged steel crank is sufficent for larger power outputs as long as the assembly is balanced. Extra stength can be attained by heat treatment or even cryo route. Certain shops should be able to zero out a balanced assemble up to 8k. So that means that 8k is the sweet spot and more revs can be attained. Instead of replacing the crank, send it off to have the assembly balance. Tell the machine shop to knife edge the crank. An age of way of removing rotating mass and also making a pretty cool cuisinart.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ahh

but I believe Henry's done many of the things you note that one can spend £3k on :)

What shops in the UK can balance a crank?

cheers

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
HKS steel crank

Hi everyone
I signed up and thought I best start here.
Tim you said call me crankey so I will, crankey.

The standard crank looks cast to me but this one will get you thinking. Quoting from HKS communique May 2001 rb26 crankshaft
CAST yes HKS crankshaft CAST that is their words not mine.

GARY
GTART.CO.UK

·
Registered
20 Posts
The standard crank is cast .

I have seen the HKS 2.8 liter crank and it is not cast - it is a forged steel crank.

Misprints happen - coming from Japanese > English or people that don't know the difference

1 - 13 of 13 Posts