GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
all depends on how well the car is set up i have tomei 260 cams 9.15 lift spl t51 on it custom tubular manifold turbo comes in at 3750rpm and full boost @5000 currently running [email protected] on 1.95 bar boost but back in tuners for bigger numbers cos my ex tuner forgot to dial the cams in ;)
complete fully forged engine build external fuel pumps etc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is fully equipped, fully tomei built motor, and I mean everything is Tomei, I had a T88-33D on before but it was reaching max output at 630whp at 18psi.

I want around 800whp, would the T51 SPL be good enough for that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I really don't care about lag, I just want to know which one would perform better, I heard that the 38gk comes on real hard where the T51 doesn't come on so hard.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
If by come on hard you mean nothing nothing nothing EVERYTHING then I hear the T88s are more inclined to do that than the HKS T51R etc, if you mean spool better I'd pick the SPL to spool a little better than a 38GK.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
got to agree with the above, my choice would be the splT51, however the T51kai is also a good blower should reach your numbers with that with a bit less lag

·
Registered
972 Posts
Id say T88-38gk for various reasons, cost, better compressor housing, we dynoed our drag GTR and made 907whp @ 2.5bar boost @ 6700rpm
Engine was HKS hideck with full tuned head.

Sounds like your engine is more than capable of producing the numbers.
Other than that I can offer you a Holset T95-R turho (Has) billet shot peened compressor wheel, 16cm housing so will spool very fast, it has inconel exhaust wheel. This will out spool T51-R + T88-GK due to the housing size, it will also make 900~1000hp depending on engine.

PM me if you want more information

Rick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not really looking for a Holset, and I know the T51 spools better than the 38GK but is 800whp reaching the max output for the t51?

·
Registered
353 Posts
1st you have to decide what you want the car to do ?
1 do you want a really fast road and track car . = t51spl
2 do you want a drag car ? = 1st choice on rb26 t51 or t88 if you want plenty of lag.
put it this way if you had 800whp say thats produced around [email protected] say 2.5bar boost and you went against a 600whp produced at [email protected] boost who do you think would win?
its not always big bhp what makes the car fast
its how well it uses that power and how long it takes to reach there
personally i would go for spl for the spool and yes you would get 800whp with ease
top end would be a fraction difference between t88 and 51 on rb26
id say on drag strip and local driving t51 would win even if it had 600whp
a really laggy turbo is boring to drive
im suprised my t51 isnt laggy at all i was personally expecting it to come on boost around 4500rpm but comes on with my setup at 3750rpm and and full boost is reached at 5000rpm car is limited to a safe 8250rpm mark due to standard balanced cranck
but trust me i have never used the full power of it anywhere
you just cant
it breaks my heart when i see the needle moving
that is the fuel needle btw lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well im kind of looking at this Borg Warner S400SX4, does anyone have experience with these turbo's?

I like the way my 33D boosted so thats why im leaning towards the 38GK but if the T51 buts out an all around better performance I might lean that way.

And yeah the fuel issue sucks lol, I run Import Fuel and its $150 for 20 litres.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i just got a t51rspl to use on my gts, should be fun, oh and its easy capable of 800bhp if not overkill for that power. you can produce 800bhp with a smaller turbo and have it spooling earlier

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well im going for 800 at the wheels, bhp means only at the crank right?

And im really starting to look into this Borg Warner turbo but no one has made any comments.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Id say T88-38gk for various reasons, cost, better compressor housing, we dynoed our drag GTR and made 907whp @ 2.5bar boost @ 6700rpm
Engine was HKS hideck with full tuned head.

Sounds like your engine is more than capable of producing the numbers.
Other than that I can offer you a Holset T95-R turho (Has) billet shot peened compressor wheel, 16cm housing so will spool very fast, it has inconel exhaust wheel. This will out spool T51-R + T88-GK due to the housing size, it will also make 900~1000hp depending on engine.

PM me if you want more information

Rick

how much price difference is there between the holset and the other two?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts