GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone use this system in the UK and have any tuners had expirience with setting it all up ???

the torque results look pretty good to me !

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Abbey Motorsport can answer all you question on the HKS V-cam system.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Have to say I am impressed with the setup on my car (It was done by Mark/Dan at Abbey)......

You got any switched on switched off graphs from the dyno? What is the cam position in switched off mode?

Unless a normal cam is set up very badly, it should give exactly the same torque/power at a particular rev band as a V-cam, yet all HKS graphs don't show this. Thats a bit suspicious to me.

·
Vendor
12,595 Posts
Pete, stop messing around and buy an RB30:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

419 Posts
Of course

You got any switched on switched off graphs from the dyno? What is the cam position in switched off mode?

Unless a normal cam is set up very badly, it should give exactly the same torque/power at a particular rev band as a V-cam, yet all HKS graphs don't show this. Thats a bit suspicious to me.
The man has before and after dyno graphs.He has paid his money and is very pleased with the result which is a much greater area under the graph.

He wouldnt know what the switched off cam setting is, and probably wont be interested as it is totally irrevelant.

When you say a cam is set up very badly,they are probably taking a graph of a power run where the inlet cam is set up for best all round drive ability, not neccessarily timed for peak power. I have said it before and I will repeat, no 2 engines are the same even if the specification is the same.

You are a suspicious man, stretch those short arms to reach the bottom of your long pockets, buy a kit and find out. You wont be diappointed. LOL

Incidentally, we have a 34 fitted with an RB30 and V cam. You could say its a bit special.

Tony

·
Registered
438 Posts
"Incidentally, we have a 34 fitted with an RB30 and V cam. You could say its a bit special."

Ha...then enough said. does it help alot? I was planning this setup also with a 3.0L with a HKS V-CAM step pro.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Tony,
I doubt V-cam will work with my high lift high duration cams, unless I sink some mine shafts into the pistons, so I'll have to give it a miss.

However, I still maintain that unless the comparison cam (assuming they are the same design), is timed outside of the HKS V-Cam sweep range, the torque and power will be identical for a particular set of revs.

I don't see this on HKS's graphs.

For example, in the comparison in this thread, if the static cam was set to produce peak torque at the 4250RPM range with a vernier wheel (peak torque for V-cam and biggest difference between the two), I don't think that the graphs would look spectacularly different.

As it is, I believe that HKS has set the static cam to a 'way out' of correct position. Looking at the graph, probably at the high rev range, where the advantage would not show due to perhaps the timing of the ex cam coming into effect, or other limited breathing factor associated with high revs. All to make the difference look bigger. That makes me suspicious of how well it actually works.

If HKS designed a variable cam profile switcher, now that would get me interested, and get me to reach a bit deeper into my long pockets, lol.

I know V-Cam does work, just interested to see a proper comparison without the smoke and mirrors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts