GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I have a orrid reverse light in my back bumper and I want to get rid of it coz its looks naff.

Does anyone think its possible to fill it and respray? or will it need a new one...

Or do I bodge it and then cover it with a wacking sticker :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
How come your reverse light is there then mate? They not work under the light cluster where they are situated?

On mine the fog light is part of the afterburner cluster so no need for anything in the bumper, do u have a rear fog in the bumper? If not why not put a rear fog instead of the reverse light and that way no one will think anything of it being an import.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Rich - coz the importers were bodge artists......

I want to do the leds in the brake light thing.... so the two inner lights glow brigher, I hope its an easy mod :) at least I have the fog wire already plumbed in as such.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought Id post the quote

£180 cash..... thats the whole bumper redone + plus a reskim of the front one....

Seems okay to me

Bloke normally does Audi TT's so hes knows his plastic :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Stormuk,

Can you possibly tell me how you wired those fog up, I'm having to have sh1t fog lamp hanging under the 32, but the 33's had it done not by me btw, and I cant c how they did it....

Cheers

Draxx

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah my right inner light lights up as my fog, Draxx I can check and look at the wiring to see how its done as there is just a switch for it to be on or off. Can't be too hard. Looks better to me thinks.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Two options.

Change the offside rear reversing light to a rear fog light. You can buy a standard bulb from Halfords etc. and reroute the exsiting fog wire to the new site whilst cutting off the feed to the light. Remember the loom runs from right to left in the boot so make sure if you cut it off the nearside reversing light still works.

The other way is to change the inner rear lights to work as fog lights. This is also pretty straightforward. Disconnect the feed to the inner lights (making sure the outer ones still work) and then connect the feed into the new lights.

Whatever option it's really quite straightforward and you shouldn't need to do anything on the switch side.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Most SVA conversions either involve cutting out the two centre lights for the fog, strapping on a separate light, or as you have Rich losing one of your reverse lights for the fog.

I've found a way around this; note this "WON'T" pass an SVA test as I found out. However it will pass an MOT no problem.
This is the way my car is now wired, all my lights on the back of the car work as they did from the factory - IE with the lights on, all four lights come on, and when braking all four lights also come on. With the added advantage of a 'legal' fog light.

It involves finding the main feed to the centre rear brake lights either side (green and black wire off the top of my head). Cut into this. You'll need 4 heavy duty diodes (2 for each side). Assuming you already have a fog light switch - find the feed from that. Wire the diodes together so that they are 'opposite to each other'
Like this +--(-->)--+--(<--)--+ , so that the power can travel into the middle of the diodes; but in no way flow back to the other feed. Now that you have the diodes wired up, connect the outer of either one of the diodes to the brake light feed. And connect the other outer diode wire to the fog light feed. Connect the remanding cable from the actual light cluster (brake light), to the centre of the diodes. Do the same for both sides.

With the fog light on, the two inside lights come on and show up brighter then the outer ones (because effectively the brake light is coming on as well as the main rear light). And with the fog light switched off - the two centre lights become the brake light, as well as the outer ones. Using the diodes stops the power feeding back through, and making all the lights come on when braking or switching the fog light on.

Jason.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason

You lost me at the start :) but yeah thats exactly it no loss of normal setup but extra leds to make it brighter on the inner brake lights...

If you could do piccies Id appreciate it - Saves me pestering Rod, also what leds are best?

Guess what Im doing this weekend.....

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
The problem with SVA is that the rear fog lights need to be a certain distance from the rear indicator (tail) lights. This rule isn't applied under the MOT. There is an alternative. As the SVA requires a set distance and the level of the light is about wattage not visibility you could cover up half of each light so as to achieve the required demarcation.

I got away with this when I built my Ginetta. Amazing what a bit of black insulating tape will do:)

John

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the respray is done and Im chuffed to bits looks brill.... and its a perfect fill no trace at all...

Hoping by the weekend my clear side lights arrive and I can finish the external part of the refurb..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts