GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

Well, as some of you may know, I also joined the elite "stripped my 3rd gear" club last week. It was bound to happen sooner or later and the car just did not like me dropping the clutch at 8500rpm from 2nd to 3rd.

Anyway, onto the real question. I have done some *major* and I do mean MAJOR research on gearbox alternatives for the GT-R, and seriously, my only bulletproof option seems to be the Holinger 6spd sequential. I just need to know a few things...

[1] Is it streetable? i.e. how will I do in traffic? Will I have trouble inching the car in traffic jams?

[2] Is the gearbox *whiny*.. will I go mad after cruising the car for 2 hours on the highway? Can the stereo drown out the sound?

[3] How often does it need to be "serviced" as in refreshed/rebuilt etc??

[4] Can anyone help me with chosing the "ideal" gear ratios? I am preparing the car with drag racing in mind. However it is also a daily driver...
Thank you in advance.

PS I promise to make the Skyline world proud. On the run in which I broke 3rd gear, I was killing (several car lengths by end of 2nd gear) an EVO III that ran a 12.4 ... I just coasted to the finish line and ran a flat 14..

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Hi Guy

Wouldn't say they are bulletproof as Ronnies has had a mishap. Mind you he did have a tall 6th gear so this may have had something to do with it.

The reason I say this is all his other gears are fine.

Seems this is the definitive box for 1/4 miles though. Mind you saying that OS Gieken have just brought out a new sequential I believe ;) :eek: ;) .

Everyday driving. Mmmmm do you mean being stuck in traffic jams all the time or just a bit here and their (yeah I know he's in Cyprus before anyone starts :) .)

You are coming to a point where you are requiring specific parts and unfortunately they may not be adaptable for all needs.

Gotta say though the gearchanges are sooooo quick.

Might be worth giving Abbeys a call as they sourced and are rebuilding Ronnies Holinger.

Hope this helps.

glen

·
Registered
766 Posts
that Mario guy off www.exvitermini.com uses a Holinger 6speed in his 1350bhp R33. he has an uprated input shaft and i think it is relatively standard apart from that. from looking on the website i think he is having very few problems with the box, and that is on such an insanely powerful car.maybe you can email him you're specific questions to [email protected]

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys,

TOKYO said:
Everyday driving. Mmmmm do you mean being stuck in traffic jams all the time or just a bit here and their (yeah I know he's in Cyprus before anyone starts .)

You are coming to a point where you are requiring specific parts and unfortunately they may not be adaptable for all needs.

Tell me about it, I just don't want a car that is *too* much over the top race car (i.e. can't clear minor speed bumps and can be heard 5 miles away - when *idling*).

At full throttle, I couldn't car less if it sounded like thousand nuclear bombs exploding... In fact, the louder, the better :)

It's the casual cruising part that I'm worried about.

paul said:
that Mario guy off www.exvitermini.com uses a Holinger 6speed in his 1350bhp R33. ....email him you're specific questions to [email protected]
I have already e-mailed Mario, and he was kind enough to reply (he must get flooded with mail). He basically convinced me to get the Hollinger over the OS Giken gear sets.

My only question remaining is the "daily driver" factor of the gearbox..
Anyone else?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Daily driving

'Pegleg', who is on here, also has one and I'm sure he'd be up for filling you in on this (Ronnie don't come on here.)

I'd have been suprised if you hadn't of contacted Mario ;) .

glen

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mario

Mario is my hero :D

I really admire his "engineering perfection " attitude.

BTW, TOKYO is your car the famous blue R34 that appeared in "Japanese Perfromance" magazine? If so, I love those wheels. Looks *evil*.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hollinger.

Answers
[1]Traffic is no problem whatsoever - you still have a clutch!

[2] There is some whine from the gears when cruising but not a lot. There is much more noise from an HKS hyper. The steroe can easily be heard above the gearbox noise. It is louder than a normal box the gears are semi-straight cut after all.

[3] Never had mine rebuilt yet. Done 9.000 miles so far.

[4] No idea about ratios.

Ramblings
Yes with the OS Giken triple plate clutch at idle there is a lot of chatter but on the move the box itself is so relaxing and smooth.

You can change from 1st to 6th gear so smoothly, quickly and easily that it makes a conventional gearbox pedestrian.

For instance if your passenger was drinking a cup of coffee, then with an ordinary gearbox when you changed gear they would probably spill the coffee, but with the hollinger maybe they wouldn't since the gearchange is smooth and almost seamless.

You change gear in town even more often because it is so so easy.

Summary
I did have some of the same concerns as you but now having experienced the gearbox I would not be without it. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Re: Cheers Guy

TOKYO said:
Yeah thats me baby. I've had the wheels repainted Dark Gunmetal now.

glen
Talking of which - Glen i got some photo's of your car to send you that i took at Abbey's on saturday.

I'll get them sent ASAP (probably after work tomorrow).

Daz

PS Sorry to "disrupt" the thread....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pegleg, you made my day!

Pegleg, you made my day!

Thank you for the reply. That's exactly what I was looking to hear.

I really appreciate it.

Now, to call Holinger and get some gear ratios sorted out :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cheers guys, for all the help.

Hehe, Holinger just faxed me a page *filled* with gear ratios.. now the interesting part begins...

Oh and keep on appearing in Magazines! It cheers me up eveytime I see a Skyline featured in a magazine! The majority of mags that we get here are from the UK - Japanese Perfromance, Banzai, Max Power, Redline...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Great information, guys. The commentary on the real life experience factor is very useful. I was wondering the exact same things.

Thanks very much PEGLEG for providing the experience input and GTuned for raising the question. Be sure to let us know your thoughts GTuned once you get it sorted out.

Cya O!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No Problem, hipogtr,

In fact, I was thinking in putting up on the web somewhere all the info that I had found out about transmission choices and transmissions for the Skyline. I have especially gathered a lot of info on the OS Giken replacement gears and the Holinger 6spd Sequential.

I have spent more than 20hrs surfing the net for every possible tidbit of information. If you need anything, please ask. I'll also definitely be sure to keep you guys updated. Sharing info is the no.1 thing that moves us forwards.

In case anyone is curious about my car's current state of tune,

R33 GT-R V-Spec:
Nismo G-Max Triple Plate Clucth, 720cc SARD Injectors, GReddy e-manage.

from the Previous Owner:
Janspeed custom cat-back, Janspeed steel turbine conversion on stock turbos, Janspeed Chipped.

On Hold (not installed yet):
Nismo AFMs, Trust Big Oil cooler

Future plans:
Big Single turbo, engine internals..., Front LSD

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ATTN PEGLEG & anyone who may know!

Some new questions have just come up ...

What type clutch do you use? The push type or the pull type? Basically the clutch type from the R32 is different from the one in the R33. Holinger today informed me that I would need to convert to the R32 type.....

However, I recall hearing that you can switch from push to pull type with a simple mod.. do you know anything about this?

The problem is that I have the top of the line R33 Nismo Triple plate clutch with less than 400km on it... it would be such a waste to not use it.

Is there an advantage from one type to another?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts