GTR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Actually HX52 is "smaller" than HX50 and I think it would have performed better also..
I would have gone for the HX52 however it just has a really big compressor housing! Although it fits I wouldn't mind it! For now the HX50 will do :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
i think both, the hx50 and the hx52 should do the job.
A Hx40 should be enough to reach the goal. Personally i would take the HX52 with the 11cm ex housing.
The hx52 is a hybrid turbo, the big hx55 compressor mated with a hx50 turbine.
I had a hx40 with a 14cm ex housing, a 16cm ex housing, have a hy35 with a 10cm ex and i am testing a He300vg (hx40 compressor with hx35 turbine and vtg).
As my goals are 500 hp (stock rb26), the hx 40 was to big. 1,3bar at 4300-4400 rpm in fourth (5 speed), but strongly pulled to 8000rpm.
I saw results on rb30 with hx40 (16cm) with way over 700 hp on e85.
The Hy35 (HX35 compressor with turbine slightly smller than hx35 und with singlescroll exhousing) also makes 500 hp (flywheel) but with 1,5 bar boost at far under 4000rpm.
18cm ex housings and bigger are pretty much useless on rb26 imo.
If you take a holset you need a big oil retrn line. At least 18mm in diameter.
The hx40 i bought from kkd, the other one from compressor racing. All units were in perfect shape and never had any issues with them. (35000km on holset with a little track use, a little drift but most street)
I love these turbos, but i have to say i didnt tried any other turbo till now.

Hope this helps a little.

(sorry for my english)

·
Registered
2 Posts
:sadwavey: Hello guys i just registered to give some info. because sharing is caring.
in fact i'm expert in holset turbos and there is some wrong information mentioned in this thread.

well at first i'm a genuine holset pro52 owner for 4 year installed in a 2jz-gte supra>. no cams no major mods except bpu mods including air intake, boost controller, piggy ... etc. engine compltely stock.

and for the info:

1) holset turbos out-spool BW turbos all day in almost every size you can google it and see yourself. BW are also phsically bigger, if you're looking at pro52 it's not even comparable physically with S365 so always BG's are bigger. the only benefit BG's offer over holset is wider map thanks to the "extended tip technology".

2) original pro52 hold the number 4027895. anything without a stamp or have a funky printed stamp is probably normal hx52 machined to the 71 wheel, the turbo is about 1200$ new. you can get it from Scandinavian websites it would be alot cheaper and there guys don't cheat and they know what they are doing.

3) about the turbo in general and the housing. I highly advice you of it over any other choice it spools like a fair gt35 and out-flow a gt42. it's a magic turbo. if you love hp numbers and planning to get more RPM in the future stick with the 16cm it's not even close to lagging for turbos this size. if it's about fun car with drifting and care much about mid range get the 11cm housing. it will also get you near 600's at 26 psi. i can help you get one for cheap.

4) don't get the hx50 as 52 is better in all ways. if you really wish to get smaller more responsive turbo go get the hx40 super with the 7 blade inducer and 10 blade turbine. it's a high flow racing turbo which spools 800-1000 rpms earlier than the pro52 and can make up to 700's on 26 psi.

5) good luck bro wish you all the best. holsets are really great products. ask me on my email for any questions (lacrious hotmail)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
3) about the turbo in general and the housing. I highly advice you of it over any other choice it spools like a fair gt35 and out-flow a gt42. it's a magic turbo. if you love hp numbers and planning to get more RPM in the future stick with the 16cm it's not even close to lagging for turbos this size. if it's about fun car with drifting and care much about mid range get the 11cm housing. it will also get you near 600's at 26 psi. i can help you get one for cheap.

4) don't get the hx50 as 52 is better in all ways. if you really wish to get smaller more responsive turbo go get the hx40 super with the 7 blade inducer and 10 blade turbine. it's a high flow racing turbo which spools 800-1000 rpms earlier than the pro52 and can make up to 700's on 26 psi.
Holsets are good turbos, and some good info there but I'm not sure what it is about Holset turbo fans and making up ridiculous claims for them - if you have some evidence that will contradict me I am MORE than interested, as if these things can get near what you claim then we should all be running them. And they'd also perform different to any Holset I've ever seen used, which include the 7-blade HX40.

You say the Pro52 spools like a GT3582R (ie, 20psi by low 4000rpm range being the yard stick on an RB26) and makes power like a GT42 (ie, a 90+lb/min turbo), that sounds very appealing.... and then you say that the HX40 spools 800-1000rpm earlier.

That means full boost by under 3500rpm on an RB26, and 700hp. I'd expect for that to be realistic I'd imagine it'd be even earlier than that on a 2JZ. Do you have any dyno plots which would shed any light?

Sorry to be skeptical, one has to ask questions when there are claims which are too good to be true - and I've been aware of and respected Holset turbos for >10 years now and have been impressed, but they have never matched what SOME of their pushers make out they are like.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Spools like a 35 and flows more than a 42. If thats the case, i'll ditch my EFR and buy 10 of these super turbo's tonight. Where do I sign up? :tard:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
For the money the Holsets are a great Turbo.....but comparing them to some of the latest tech out there they just don't compare.
We tune plenty of them, but if you were to back to back them with a GTX or an EFR etc.....they fall down heavily in response.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Holsets are good turbos, and some good info there but I'm not sure what it is about Holset turbo fans and making up ridiculous claims for them - if you have some evidence that will contradict me I am MORE than interested, as if these things can get near what you claim then we should all be running them. And they'd also perform different to any Holset I've ever seen used, which include the 7-blade HX40.

You say the Pro52 spools like a GT3582R (ie, 20psi by low 4000rpm range being the yard stick on an RB26) and makes power like a GT42 (ie, a 90+lb/min turbo), that sounds very appealing.... and then you say that the HX40 spools 800-1000rpm earlier.

That means full boost by under 3500rpm on an RB26, and 700hp. I'd expect for that to be realistic I'd imagine it'd be even earlier than that on a 2JZ. Do you have any dyno plots which would shed any light?

Sorry to be skeptical, one has to ask questions when there are claims which are too good to be true - and I've been aware of and respected Holset turbos for >10 years now and have been impressed, but they have never matched what SOME of their pushers make out they are like.
Sir I'm not a holset fan i came to throw my experience since the question is about what I've been using since 4 years.
For my "ridiculous" claims:
1) it's mentioned in official technical notes that its capable of more than 1200 cfm that's about 93 lb turbo (depending on air density). Some guys at dsm or something tested and it gave them mind blowing 97 lb/m isn't that amazing when the gt4294 "which is more usable than gt4202 on our cars" blows a max of 85 lbs/m. For the spool wise i have mentioned that my engine is stock so I'm using low boost i can see the 18 psi at 4200-4400 never gone more than that and you can add 200 rpm for the 400 cc difference. Here's a video of a 1 bar normal hx52 on a 1.5jz, you can see the wastegate fully opens at 4800 each time.
https://youtu.be/3sDn8ruLjSA
I'm pretty sure hx40 pro will give you 26 psi at 4200 and hold up to redline. It's 70 lbs. capable. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=239425
Btw there is normal hx40 with 7 blades. It must have 10 blade high flow turbine to be a super 40.

I'm considering a dyno run soon. Will get back with data when done.

For the the Holsets are a great Turbo.....but comparing them to some of the latest tech out there they just don't compare.
We tune plenty of them, but if you were to back to back them with a GTX or an EFR etc.....they fall down heavily in response.
I didn't claim they are the best in universe; they out spool bw's and Garrett's journal bearings all day in all sizes, and flowing top end like monsters. Any dbb turbo will get better results. But thats 3x the price

·
Registered
33 Posts
Holset HX40 gave 1,6bars of boost at 3200rpm in my 2JZ. Max flow is about 70lbs so it is a 700hp turbo if you have all the supporting mods.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Found this old thread. I have an rb30 now on my r33gtr that has custom holset thats slapped together using different holset parts..

Turbine housing is t4 twin scroll
16cm2 (same as hx52pro)
CHRA HX52
Compressor housing HX52
Compressor wheel custom billet 73in/109exH
Turbine wheel X55PRO 77in/86ex

21 - 31 of 31 Posts