GTR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi,

You better off budgeting 30K for a tuned (smv or linchfields) 2009-10 car. you'll save 10-15K

unless you desperately want smoother ride its not worth paying the extra for an MY11. Which I dont think will be 35-40 any time soon.

remember the 2009s are 35K now and they were 55 to buy brand new. the 2011 were 70+k so with that in mind I would say in 2 year an 11 car will be 43K-48k and that assuming the new version (13/14) pisses all over the 2011 on tech.

I run a stage 4 2009 and test drove the 2011 for 40 mins (on my own ;) - felt slow! :( but much smoother and less clanky.

ideally the latest model with the bigest power upgrades is the BEST! only a luck few run them.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
OR get a rs6 saloon!

power upgrade (basic remap and fitlers) on that takes it over 700BHP! the only car that has managed to keep up with me from a rolling start on the motorway. (not even motorbikes have given me that level of competition) We were literally identical in acceleration.

I keep telling myself that I'll have him if it was a standstill start. time will tell if thats the case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
One of my other faves is the AC Cobra, but i can't bring myself to buy a car that is A) incredibly dangerous when I have a family, and B) costs £25k+ for a good quality kit when its basically just a piece of fiberglass with some wheels.

Don't get me wrong, there are many cars I like, RS6 included, but the only car that I've thought about nearly everyday since a kid is the R34 and now R35.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
well, fingers crossed Verinder1984. Just lucky enough I have a job that will enable it one day, cos otherwise it would always just be a poster car (not that i have a poster :D ).

Flynn, just heard things about the gearboxes blowing up, launch control issues (can't remember which year they disabled it, and was sure one years version had repetition issues), and other random things. I don't really hear such things about the later models, maybe because I don't have the time to read up on them lately, but maybe because they're always improving too. If I'm wrong, I'll accept that. Just would like a later model if the price is right.

Of course, if i won the lottery, I'd buy everyone a 2013 model with the Switzer E900 mods :p

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
well, fingers crossed Verinder1984. Just lucky enough I have a job that will enable it one day, cos otherwise it would always just be a poster car (not that i have a poster :D ).

Flynn, just heard things about the gearboxes blowing up, launch control issues (can't remember which year they disabled it, and was sure one years version had repetition issues), and other random things. I don't really hear such things about the later models, maybe because I don't have the time to read up on them lately, but maybe because they're always improving too. If I'm wrong, I'll accept that. Just would like a later model if the price is right.

Of course, if i won the lottery, I'd buy everyone a 2013 model with the Switzer E900 mods :p
No issues with the 09 than there is with the 59, 10 etc... Except lack of Nav, but when I was looking there was about a 5k difference. So wasnt that arsed

But would much prefer to have a MY11, hence me selling my 09. (wink wink) which has had a new gearbox etc under warranty

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
The issues you have heard on are not on the 09 cars, it's on the 08 cars which were not officialy sold in the UK. So avoid imports and you'll be fine.

UK cars didn't suffer from any issues really.
The Japan and USA cars got those as they got the car first. :)

If you really want a MY11 you need to look at what extra you get, but I'd expect to pay around £45k in two years time.
It's not just a smoother car due to the suspension. It's nicer inside, has more downforce, better brakes, facelift with DRL etc...

But if the MY09/10 is £10k(ish) cheaper it's the better buy as it's 95% the same car and can be tweaked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well Flynn, I currently have £100 in the bank cos the wife just went crazy for Christmas. Would you take installments of mince pies?

Anyways, sounds like some good advice gents. Just need to knuckle down, try to get as big a deposit as i can, get a cheap family runaround, then take the leap inc. a warranty. Oh, and keep the mileage and speed down after I do :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
A few years ago I was in exactly the same boat as you and I'm glad that I waited, in the current economic climate if I was you, as some of the others have suggested, wait 12-18 months and you'll be in a much better position and prices would have come down so they will be more affordable anyway.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
- I'd do less than 10k miles p/y and I'd say at least 75% of the driving will be relatively steady given i may have the wife or kid with me. We also do a 2hr journey from milton keynes to yorkshire 1-2 times p/m to see family.

Seems that if i get a cheap family run around
Not sure about MY11+ but earlier GTRs lack insulation and sound dampening and it could get tad uncomfy for rear passengers on long journeys.

It's definitely fun for the driver but not sure about the rears. However if it's just 1/2 times/month I would think that'll be bearable :)

Not trying to slag the GTR but personally I would not run it as the sole family car. With your level of income you should be able to afford a second car for family duties :) I use the GTR for commuting/weekend fun/occasional jaunt with missus when kids at school etc but family bus for rest of the duties.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Indeed, family bus is the way to go. Just need to get her to pass her test now. Anyway, telling her she can have a mini makes for good leverage when it comes to me saying I'm buying the GTR.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.