GTR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
The two hoses circled in the picture below were once blue - thought it was time to replace them - they go to an oil catch can below the filters........

here comes the possibly stupid question...........
are these hoses under a vacuum/pressure as the replacement hoses seem alot thinner and are not re-inforced at all. - running 1.5bar so don't wan't them to calapse/burst.
I don't think current ones are re-inforced either but they're definately alot more rigid....

help:confused:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If these are hoses that vent the crank case and lead to a catch can they may slightly be under pressure but not much.

I just used standard silicone hoses from Samco (not the reinforced flex type ones) back then when I was building my turbo charged DC2. Had 1.6 bar of boost and had never had any issues with these hoses.

When you have serious pressure on the hoses, bursting them is your last sorrow, cause then you are in big trouble with your engine (for example serious blow by due to damaged piston rings...).

HTH

Cheers,

Leo

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that.
When I ordered the hoses - they were called Vacuum hose. So I assumed they could take a certain amount of pressure +ve or -ve. but the invoice said for athetic applications only - I can easily squash the pipe between finger and thumb and when you bend the hose it kinks quite easy - whereas the existing on is more substantial......
.....it wasn't a question of money, as the only others I could see were the wire reinforced ones with the silly ridges....

any other opinions are very welcome
thanks again Austrian GTR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts