GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a bit of a weird and very worrying one here and I was wondering if anyone has come across this or knows what it could possibly be i have searched the forums and didnt find anything?

I went on a short break last week and took my R33 GTR for a good run on the motorway, have done this before but not for half as long, after 3 hours of 80mph the gear stick selector shaft became very hot I mean you could touch it for about 5 seconds before it hurt so I’m thinking not good, lucky I had a nylon gear knob!

Apart from the obvious and checking the gear box oil I was wondering if it could possibly be anything else. The car had a major service just over a year ago and they did do the box oil, I mean there are no nasty noises/wines coming from it, I do get a bit of clutch jangle which I believe is the norm with this type of car and setup. I’m not 100% sure what is in there but it is some description of paddle clutch and short shift/after market gear box so I know its not built for doing long hauls on the motorway.

So apart from checking the oil should this be something I should get checked out (problem being the garage will not be able to replicated this problem without a 2-3 hour hard run) or do I wait for the gear box cogs to come flying out the exhaust??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The shifter doesn't go into the trans. It goes into the transfer case. If you have some slippage of the clutch/engagement of the clutch, the center diff will get hot.

They do get warm, but if its really hot, look into how much slippage is going on.

There is a reason that the endurance cars ran coolers for the trans, transfercase, and rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVpddjCH6cU

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i have an alloy Nismo gear knob - and after an hour of driving it gets almost too hot to touch, and R33's are notorious for bringing up a lot of heat through the gearstick and surrounding area!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts