GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Performance friction or not to be?

Had a great day at Brands yesterday and took my car on track for the first time in a while and the first time with new suspension, 17" wheels etc.....

The car worked amazingly and blew away most cars.
I was actually going to fit a hicas lockout bar...........but if my car stays as it was yesterday, I dont see the need.........loved it.

Anyway my big problem is that whilst my DBA discs and ferodo 2500 pads kept up ..........my discs are truely ****ed, they used to be grooved, put it that way!! I guess at over 120mph on the straight then hard braking before paddocks is the main culprit.

I do not really want to be buying new discs after every track day and was a little disappointed that they wore this way.

Could someone who still uses brembo calipers but tracks often give me some advice/guidance on ideal discs and pads.???

Performance friction seem to be talked highly about on here but not really by people who go on track.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Matt, didn't really want to buy calipers and the ferodo pads are as good if not a bit harsher than the endless, its my dba discs that are slightly warped and totally buggered. you suppy the 6 pots?

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
???? .............Someone >>>>???????

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hiya Mel, were your discs fairly old? I've got Silverstone next week and using the same discs and pads as you. They are almost new (<1000miles of light use)

I've been reading loads of stuff over the net about PFC 2 piece discs and depending on how these DBA's hold up, will probably be buying some this year.
I can't find a bad word about them anywhere, track use or road.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What peak temperatures do you have on that discs? If you overheat the disc then you probably overheat the pads, and everything gets catshit.

Ferodo 2500 is old mens picnic club pads, go for race pads and do coolinghoses to discs.
ex PFC 97

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
DS2500's are more than up for the odd trackday. I wouldnt recommend running anything more racey if its a road car that i used on the odd trackday.

We had DBA's on track on the R32 GTR OE setup. They didnt fare too well with DS3000's. The felt 'warped' but a quick going over with a flappy grinding wheel cleared off any uneven pad deposits that were causing the judders (caused by hot pads and stationary discs). Still left heat spots but the discs were fine for another event.

I wouldnt bother changing to GREX 6 pots or endless either - gucci parts, and a bit of a waste of money if you are happy with the braking performance (just not life)!

Dont understand why the discs wore so much to be honest (are you sure the grooves arent just partially filled with pad deposits?

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
not yet but will prob switch the skyline or impreza to their discs once they are worn through their current AP's.

Impressed with the stopping of the AP discs (32mm x 355mm) but Fee ended up with some scary cracks through the discs after about 30 hard laps of Silverstone. (VERY heavy braking under bridge before entering the final complex on the national circuit)

Skyline currently runs 355mm x 32mm AP's with XP10 pads.
Impreza currently runs 330mm x 30mm AP's with XP8's

Found the OE setups (with good pads, discs, fluid, hoses and refurbed calipers) on both cars more than up to the leval needed for a few trackdays a year - just not competing!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep that's just what I'm looking for. Nothing super serious, just occasional track use.
Once these DBA's are done some
PFC discs
Lines
Fluid
And try out a few different pads.

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
You could do no worse than try carbotec pads. They are generally awesome, a lot of people use them for racing (including me).:thumbsup: They work from cold and just never fade.

·
Registered
434 Posts
DS2500's are more than up for the odd trackday. I wouldnt recommend running anything more racey if its a road car that i used on the odd trackday.

We had DBA's on track on the R32 GTR OE setup. They didnt fare too well with DS3000's. The felt 'warped' but a quick going over with a flappy grinding wheel cleared off any uneven pad deposits that were causing the judders (caused by hot pads and stationary discs). Still left heat spots but the discs were fine for another event.

I wouldnt bother changing to GREX 6 pots or endless either - gucci parts, and a bit of a waste of money if you are happy with the braking performance (just not life)!

Dont understand why the discs wore so much to be honest (are you sure the grooves arent just partially filled with pad deposits?
DS2500 are really poor track pads... even on my AP Racing 360mm bbk DS2500 are burning on 2 hard braking... even on a stock car on track i won't advertise them... there are not to bad on road but that's all.

coming from the Evo community i can say Performance friction are really well rated. discs and pads. :thumbsup: i have performance friction discs with AP calipers... :smokin:

Endless brakes are also awesome... i had 6 pot 345mm bbk from Endless on my 550 hp track Evo and never let me down ... and pads were lasting really long...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MartyV

Nothing wrong with ferodo pads and definitely not old mans picnic club pads???

The pads are too good (too harsh) for the DBA disks thats all!! With a whole day of racing they just ate threw the disks, the disks were about 3yrs old but not too worn or anything.

I am now trying pagid blue.

The ferodos also let off sooooo much dust....not good for my gold wheels!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I run Ferrodo DB3000+ pads on my car for road and track, And although listed for track only, they warm up fine for the road, and don't squeak very often.

...I found the 2500's way too light for a big car like a GTR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts