GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard that it's very risky to run the R34 in hot weather as the engine is very sensitive to heat
for example this kind of weather(the degrees are in celsius)
the guy who's selling it say's that i wont be able to drive it except in winter
so i want to know what do you guys think about this ,is it true?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
If your worried about water temps, just fit a Nismo thermostat and/or uprated radiator...

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your worried about water temps, just fit a Nismo thermostat and/or uprated radiator...
I run mine regularly in similar temps, it;s making 440bhp stage 1 tune and has an uprated intercooler and oilcooler, havent experianced any soaring oil or water temps yet, so it should be fine :)

Ciao,

suhail

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Most you will probably notice is the lack of performance during the hot weather. Set your MFD to show Oil and water temp and keep an eye on it...oh yea, oil cooler mandatory!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a friend ( i live south of him ) who drives his car every day and in winter, middle of the day is about 25, and summer about 40, but most of the yeah its over 30. So no i think its fine, beside the car has a temp gauge if it gets hot just do some thing about it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If skylines drive ok in the aussie heat,then i wouldn't worry too much.
You could get an after market temp guage as the factory guage is not real
good (on a r33 anyway) it always reads the same and the pfc says temp moves +-20deg C.depending on the season.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if your too worried, you can get a gauge that you can screw in with/where your spark plugs go. This measures the temp of your head (not the water or oil). This is realy what you want to know. Get one and if the temp gets too high for what you like i would get a thicker radiator. I would get a custom one made with an oil cooler in the bottem row.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
it would be best to try and get more information about what they referrring to exactly when they say heat affects the engine.

Are they talking purely about the cooling to the engine i.e. water temperatures, or is it more than that?

If the car is set up to a specific level of tune at a lower temp and if the intake temperatures are too hot (eg. ambient at 40 celsius, intake will be much much higher than that even with intercooler) then this might have an impact on combustion in the cylinder.

You may find that the timing and fuelling settings are inappropriate and you might run risk of detonation. But this really is an extreme circumstance, though somebody else may correct me.

Another thing is the car may still be ok to run, buy you might notice that power is less than when the temps are colder. This you can live with.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Which is why I am always that little bit concerned about a dyno reprogrammed ECU tuning?

For what exact circumstances has it been 'adjusted' and does this make it operate within extreme ranges properly. I am sure some professional tuners who really know there stuff do but I wonder how many 'unsafe' levels of tune are 'out there'?

Sure there are water temperature correction maps, cold start correction maps, oil temp corrections, etc. BUT I seriously doubt the mapping has been done for 'safety' against all worst case scenario's and more importantly TESTED in those circumstances. I guess this is why engine ECU s/w has a safety margin. I remember Toyota added several layer of protection in their ECU programs for the 3S-GTE and even designed their engine to be 'non interference' so the pistons couldnt bend the rods if the cambelt snapped (space for crowns in top of pistons). Clever stuff.

I'm sure some of it is fuel economy and noise regulated but how much is 'safety' in the aftermarket tuning is really there for all the extreme weather conditions and engine longevity?? Kind of makes you think! Not surprising the manufacturers spend millions on testing their ecu programs every year...

Back to the Skyline, Very best things you can do is fit oil coolers, both for the gearbox oil and engine oil, oh and also uprate the radiator, radiator cap and if your going all out the intercooler too (to avoid detonation, THE no.1 engine killer) and after all that use high quality premium gas. (also avoids det).

Trev

·
Registered
811 Posts
PS. I also ran my ex-GT-R (an R34 UK spec one with all the oil coolers) in the South of France in temperatures over 37 deg c (100 deg F) and it was absolutely fine. No temp probs at all. Also dont forget a few of these GT-R's are happily running around in Dubia too and the weather gets VERY hot there as I can testify to.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'm seriously looking for a hood with triple vents - one horizontal radiator vent and two vertical vents on each side (one over the intake plenum, the other over the turbos. The cooling systems may manage the engine well, but there's no question about it - the Skyline's engine bay, compared to other cars, gets very hot and stays hot, and I think things will live longer under the hood if they get to run a bit cooler.

anyone know who makes this hood? -

1 - 12 of 12 Posts