GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be stationed at Yokota AFB outside of Tokyo, I was told it's near Tokyo, but I'm not sure how close it is.

I'll be on a limited budget obviously, basically whatever the military says someone of my rank can spend a month for rent. I'm just wondering overall how is the housing within a 2 hour vicinity of Tokyo? Do many houses have a garage (that's my big concern)? How large is the average house/apartment? What about theft? Here in Italy it's somewhat common to have your home broken into by what we call "Gypsies" and have small things stolen, how is it near Tokyo?

These are just some of the questions I have, if anyone wants to offer any more info about the Tokyo vicinity that would be great too, anything will help, I'm working on learning Japanese now, I'd like to be fluent enough to get around without problems by the time I get there (early 2007). Is the street racing scene there really big like I keep hearing? How are cops there, lenient, strict?

Any info would be helpful! :D

Thanks,
Jason :cool:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I am in the process of PCS'ing right now from Misawa Japan to Ramstein Germany.

I dont know alot about the Tokyo area other than it is expensive. At Misawa I rarely locked my doors and had a 2 car garage. Yokota is in the Tokyo vicinity, but it is a big vicinity. I assume most of the houses will be small and expensive.

Most of the major things you will be looking for are written in Japanese and in English.

Dont know where they street race, but I know they do it, either that or hop on the C1 and find the Wangan and make some high speed runs!

I'm sure Bean and DCD will be along to add more later!

See ya!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Yokota Airbase isn't that far from central Tokyo - although to be honest I don't know the area very well. I've been to the base once, every year they have some sort of family day, BBQ etc open to the public.

I'm sure some of the Tokyo residents can help - if not, there are a couple of people on Skylines Australia who live in that area - and I'm pretty sure hyrev & yukz2daizzo on this board (and SAU) are both working on the base.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Not sure about prices around that area but they will be much cheeper than in the city. Don't count on finding a house with a garage, maybe a parking space with a roof if you are lucky. Theft in Japan is nothing to be alarmed about as there is hardly any! Unlike Italy you can feel a little bit more relaxed about leaving your car parked somewhere while house theft is practically non existent. No dirty gypsies here to worry about. How are you liking Italy? (I'm italian BTW;))

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like Italy, but I hate this base. It's split up into 4 or 5 sections throughout Aviano and it just makes it a hassle. Also the whole base is surrounded by farmland, and Italians use pig manuer instead of regular cow/horse manuer and it smells horrible. While working out on the flightline there is always a strong odor of raw pig fesces, I hate it.

But overall Italy is nice, the scenery is beautiful, and the women are lovely!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts