GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then lets start from the top, i purchased an R32 GTR last saturday (18th jan) the spec is as follows:

R34 Garret Steel Ball Bearing Turbo's
HKS Twin Air Filter and Adapters
HKS Intercooler Hard Pipes
Nismo Oil Catch Can
Nismo Custom Fit 15 Row Oil Cooler
Nismo Custom Oil Filter Relocation Kit (Infront of NSF Wheel - underneath)
HKS High Performance Oil Filter
Nismo High Flow In Tank Fuel Pump
High Flow Cleanable Alloy Fuel Filter
Braided Fuel Lines & AN Fittings (Fuel Filter Forwards)
Tomei Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Twin Entry High Flow Alloy Fuel Rail
Nismo 555cc Injectors (Recently Ultrasonically Cleaned)
Trust 100mm Intercooler
Trust Equal Length Downpipe
High Flow Sports Cat
Apexi 3.5" Cat Back Exhaust With 5" Tip (Comes with Silencer Bung)
HKS Boost Controller
Yellow Jacket High Performance Coil Packs (From Australia)
NGK Iridium #7 Spark Plugs (12months old)
Mapped by Garage Sarus Custom Piggy Back Chip in 1995 on 97+ RON Fuel
Nismo 0.13Mpa Radiator Cap
Nissan Oil & Water Pump Changed 2010
Varta Battery (New 2012)
Brass Battery Terminals (New 2012)
HKS Cambelt Kit (2008)
Engine Oil - Red Line High Performance 5w-40

The guy who i bought the car from didn't know how to use the boost controller a HKS EVC 3 (a very old unit i now know) so i printed an instruction manual off and drove the car approx 200 miles over the weekend without it on until i fully understood how it worked. The casr was perfect at this point i must point out. The manual assured me with the EVC off the boost levels would run at standard actuator pressure. I didnt drive the car hard much but on the sunday night it felt like an absolute weapon with the EVC off, it felt too quick for standard boost pressures.

My friend who was in the car with me noticed the boost gauge and said the needle went off the scale - over 1.5kg/cm2 without problem. I did a conversion and found that kg/cm2 equates to bar and over 1.5 bar sounded an awful lot for something running standard internals. I then didn't drive the car until wednesday night when i took a couple of friends to the cinema. I had the EVC switched on and on high setting to see what boost was being limited to i put my foot down once and the overboost alarm sounded so i drove off boost the rest of the way. On the drive home i had the EVC on the low boost setting and put my foot down again, again the alarm sounded so i dropped my friends home and parked it up for the night.

On the drive to work the next cold morning i noticed a very blue cloud of smoke following me and it wasn't clearing as the engine warmed up -BOLLOCKS i thought that looks ominous.

Anyway the car is now at my garage workshop and i was hoping that it may be turbo related but i managed to wet and dry compression test the car on saturday from stone cold with all plugs out and the results are as follows:

CYL 1: dry 55psi wet 85psi
CYL 2: 112 135
CYL3: 115 150
CYL4: 115 155
CYL 5: 55 75
CYL 6: 105 135

Not looking good is it? Do those figures sound tired out or not? I know cyl's 1 +5 have had it but they sound pretty low all round to me.

I'm waiting for a friend to return my leak down test kit so i can confirm the problem but my question is this:

What should r34 turbos boost to on standard actuators?

Thanks for reading, Ad.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
First question, have you checked the actuators? Are they standard? There are a lot of parts and oversize inj gone on that car to run 'standard' actuators, in fact they could have been adjusted in some way, may even locked. Also check the pipework that is connecting to the boost controller. Possible something is off and allowing the system to run away with itself or its configured all wrong.

You do not want to be running more that 1.7Bar irrespective on SUL fuel. Plugs if #7 look a bit hot, especially if 'over boosting'.

Not sure on 34's, maybe 1.2Bar?

If you are super lucky its headgasket gone.

If apart, change the cam belt. Its 6 years old even if it hasn't done the miles.

Plus, do ECU upgrade if you can. That piggy back was good 10+ years ago but there is much better now for not much money, especially if bought secondhand, like V-PRO.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First question, have you checked the actuators? Are they standard? There are a lot of parts and oversize inj gone on that car to run 'standard' actuators, in fact they could have been adjusted in some way, may even locked. Also check the pipework that is connecting to the boost controller. Possible something is off and allowing the system to run away with itself or its configured all wrong.

You do not want to be running more that 1.7Bar irrespective on SUL fuel. Plugs if #7 look a bit hot, especially if 'over boosting'.

Not sure on 34's, maybe 1.2Bar?

If you are super lucky its headgasket gone.

If apart, change the cam belt. Its 6 years old even if it hasn't done the miles.

Plus, do ECU upgrade if you can. That piggy back was good 10+ years ago but there is much better now for not much money, especially if bought secondhand, like V-PRO.

Thanks for the reply, Yea the Cambelt is on the ASAP list anyway but looks like it's the least of my troubles now. Like you said headgasket would be best case but I'm not holding my breath it sounds pretty expensive to me but I'll do a leak down and keep you informed.

I need to strip down to check the actuators and plumbing for the boost controller aswell so will get that done tonight with any luck.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've found the root of my boost problems.

The union in the centre of the picture with the tipex dot on it, should be threaded into the small block just to the right of it, its the pressure supply pipework from the boost controller for the wastegate actuators. No supply - no wastegate operation and no boost control :-(

Leak down kit will be back tomorrow ill post results on here. I doubt it would have unthreaded itself it's obviously been forgotten about when some engine work has been done.

Gutted.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh that's crap news mate, reckon it's just happened or was already letting it's been unthe you bought the car?
I reckon its been like it for a while because the threads on that male union weren't clean as if it's been unthreaded for some time.. Disappointed in myself for not checking sooner to be honest.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunatly my money is on ringlands :-(

I'm afraid you may be be right sir.

I managed to leak down test the engine after work with the engine upto operating temperature, all plugs, air filters, oil cap, dipstick and rad cap removed. I took 2 readings from each cylinder to get an average. The results are below, I've put them next to the compression test results to clarify:

DRY WET LEAKDOWN

Cyl 1: 55 85 38%
Cyl 2: 112 135 14%
Cyl 3: 115 150 15%
Cyl 4: 115 155 12%
Cyl 5: 55 75 30%
Cyl 6: 105 135 15%

No leaks were seen or heard through the cooling system, air filters or exhaust pipe.

Cylinders 1 and 5 were leaking/venting very noticeably to the crankcase so it looks pretty conclusive that its a piston/ring problem.

Time for a rebuild then :clap:

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Really sorry to read about this.
You only just got the car too. :(

if you have the finances, time for an upgrade!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Oh well fellas worse things have happened!

What would you guys recommend in terms of the logical next step in upgrading?

Ideally I want a bombproof 450ish bhp at the hubs and want to stay rb26 and future proof as much as possible.

Are the standard r34 turbos I have upto the job? (obviously they'll be checked over)
Forged pistons?
What about rods, crank, oilpump and headgasket?
Management?
Is it worth giving Mgt a call as there only about 20 miles away and I'm hearing very good things about them?

Any input is very welcome.

Cheers again fellas, the car will be on the road for spring

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Tbh mgt gave me some cracking quotes for a fully forged rb26 short block its unfortunate the tax man needs paying first or I'd be going that route

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tbh mgt gave me some cracking quotes for a fully forged rb26 short block its unfortunate the tax man needs paying first or I'd be going that route
How much did they quote you out of interest? Could you pm me some details if you have time please?

Cheers mate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts