GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hearing from a number of people that NoS really trashes the engine, and noticed a fair few people are starting to drop it into thier cars now.

Was just wondering, HP boost vs Engine going Boom :) is it worth it? Why would you possibly need it in a Skyline :D

Cheers,
AK

:smokin:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would imagine if you where going for big BHP gains you would need to do other mod's to upgrade the engine as nos would increase the stress on it

I would love just a 50bhp one from wizards of nos but my insurance company will not touch nos

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
If you have a 150 shot, not hooked up to a progressive system, we have used them in the states for years, you are not going to do your engine, or drive train any favores. Think of it as a big sledge hammer nailing your drive line components all at once. Plus with the cooling effect on your intake charge you can almost double your shot, so a 50 shot will be around 100 once the boost is on.

If you have a small shot like a 50, you really do not need to upgrade anything else, other than making sure you have enough fuel to cover it. If you are thinking of running more, you are going to need buy a direct port system, since the RB26DETT has a very poor design for a single intake shot. When I install mine I will point it into the direction of the turbo, to get a better distribution of the N2O.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nitrous Oxide

Nitrous Oxide is the simplest way of adding power to your engine. However, it is also the quickest way to kill your engine. If you understand the pros and cons, you'll enjoy having it all day long.

Things that make Nitrous kill engines are
1. Too high RPM
2. Leaning of a/f mixture
3. Detonation due to fuel and timing requrements.
4. HP Stress on pistons and rods

Keep the RPM at a safe limit such as 7,000 rpm
Keep the a/f ratio at 11.5 mixture
Retard timing 2 degrees per 50 H.P
Add Nitrous in stages based on RPM. An engine can take twice as much Nitrous at 6000 rpm as it can take at 3000. For stock engines, keep it under 200 H.P

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
A N2O kit wont kill your engine anymore than a big turbo will.

However, fit either one badly without paying proper attention to fuel systems, engine condition etc and you will get the same result.

Buy it with the intent of slapping a kit on in a weekend with a few beers and your m8s then just turning it up to see what happens ............... not a great idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts