GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some advice on how I can produce flames from my exhaust?

Although probably not healthy for the car, it looks wicked on videos and I want to know what I need to do to get them?

Are there specific engine exhaust mods you need? Do you have to get rid of the cat convertor etc?

Any help appreciated!

Andrew

:smokin:

·
Registered
961 Posts
run it rich thats it!

·
Registered
961 Posts
it not bad for the car just the fuel bill!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I change the mixture of the fuel / air to make it run rich?

Will it happen automatically or is there something that sets it off like the way you change gear etc?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Running to high revs (when accelerating through first, second) and suddenly lifting off the throttle to change gear leaves extra unburnt fuel which was being pumped through to compensate for the high revs, this CAN then ignite in the exhaust hence producing a flame. You dont want to adjust your mixture! It will run much slower and lumpy-er if its rich, plus it'll kill your fuel biull and just IS NOT worth it!

You could however drill a small hole in your exhaust, put a spark plug in and wire this to the car battery, but put a break in the circuit and attach a small psh-switch (which you could mount on the dash) and then pressing it will make a spark (obviously) and hopefully cause a flame or at least a pop. However this is sumin you wud do to an XR2 and NOT A SKLYINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A sparkplug in the exhaust??? How did you learn that one? I want to try it the proper way before desperately resorting to cheating! :)

Check this pic out - this is the effect I'm after...

PS. How far inside the exhaust would I need to mount this sparkplug!?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah, it looks pretty mint put ist not all that helpful. Dont even think about adjucting your fuel mixture, plys you would need to reprogram your ECU and youd get laughed at if you said thats why you wanted it doing! Put the spark plug about 5cm in from the back of the exhaust. P.S. Its mainly the highly-tuned skylines that flame due to the massively increased rates fuelling required.

Hope Ive been of some help!

Rob

·
Registered
720 Posts
Venting the waste air into the atmosphere confuses the airflow meter, and runs the mixture rich when lifting off the throttle. For a split second the AFM still thinks its flowing high volumes of air, and therefor tells the ecu to carry on fueling for an extra split second - depending on timing and the position of the the TPS sensor not all the fuel is burnt and therefor sent through the exhaust. The fuel reaches flash point in the hot exhuast and soon as it hits oxygen (the tip) it ignites.

Jason.

I

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds spot on to me! do you have a ball park cost for one of those dump valves? also did you say i'd need my timing fixed?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Probaly £200 for the dump valve, and no don't need to touch anything and don't mess with the timing!. Don't think about doing anthing until you remove the cat - or it won't last long.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Put some bigger injectors in..

I have got the 600 ccs and they push more fuel than a bloody petrol pump. Some truly spectacular flash backs!
I am buying shares in shell.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Flames

You can't expect any 'major' flames other than just a pop here and there until you have a good aftermarket exhaust on there.

It's the CAT's job to control the emissions. These are in most cases caused by unburnt fuel. The CAT will do it's best to get rid of this fuel vapor before it exits the tail-pipe.

Fit a full turbo-backwards system and/or remove the CAT. This means there will be nothing half-way down the pipe to burn off the fuel.

Playing around with the Air/Fuel ratio is a certain spell for disaster unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I used to have big air leak at the inlet manifold causing the ecu to massively overfuel. This produced big flames when cruising (i.e. on closed loop). The fuel consumption was nearly double what it is now. I know which I prefer. The big flame coming out of David Yu's tailpipe was due to him running 600bhp plus (e.g. big injectors as stated earlier).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
sort of on topic ...

I bumped into a mate of mine the other day and he'd just bought an R1 so obviously we went for a hack up and down the a23 a few times...

He said that he couldn't get too close behind me as I kept poking 6 - 10 foot flames out of the back at about 140mph !!

I have heard her pop before but didn't realise there were proper pyrotechnics going on !!

we are going to find a nice quiet night and do it properly though there was far too much traffic about on a Saturday lunchtime.

just for info. The R1 is quicker than the R33 on the motorway but then that is to be expected. I was pleased that he was happy to just sit behind me.

When we got onto a road with some corners on it the 33 showed true form and I had to slow down so he could keep up.

excellent fun..

/Steve

·
Registered
211 Posts
Even a Volvo can do that :)

flaming Volvo

If you can program the car yourself you can set the fuel cut after throttle lift a little later and pour some fuel in the system.
If you can adjust the ignition you could build your own manifold killer ALS system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts