GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i long think Pistonheads has a better relationship with Nissan than the club. hense this, meets at Nissan HQ, Pistonheads decals all over Spec-V

at least they finally gave John a 35 to borrow and sub gtroc memberships :p

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I've posted a few:

How do you justify using a Nurburgring lap time extensively in your publicity for the car that was set with VDC off when you state that the warranty is invalidated for owners once VDC is switched off? Also how does that tally with your statement that VDC off is only for freeing the car from snow or mud?

Why was a 6 speed gearbox chosen when most rivals are going 7 speed?

Why does pulling a gearshift paddle when in Auto mode only switch the 'box into Manual mode when the desired outcome is obviously to actually change a gear?

Why, in a car sold on its technology, does it not include obvious features like memory settings for the seats/mirrors and a HUD? (both available on much cheaper cars)

Do you think it is reasonable for Nissan to mandate (very expensive) full fluid changes every 1800 miles if gearbox temps go above 110c which is easily achievable with hard road driving?

Why is the car less stable/predictable than the older GT-Rs in the wet? (See YouTube - Auto-Journals.com/Evo Mag's R35 GT-R in the wet for an example!)

:p

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can't wait untill the week after, Flavio Briatore is doing a Pistonheads web chat on how to make friends and influence people.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I guess his perception of this site is somewhat lower than GTRBLOG, NAGTROC and Pistonheads.
All three of those are sites with a big bias towards articles/reviews etc, this site does not appear to be currently.

Also bear in mind that Pistonheads is a massive site and is owned by Haymarket, who also own Autocar, hence they have huge access to contacts.

NAGTROC is also quite large and very commercially minded with loads of sponsors and they have a far bigger R35 market in the US, with 1 years greater experience.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
All three of those are sites with a big bias towards articles/reviews etc, this site does not appear to be currently.

Also bear in mind that Pistonheads is a massive site and is owned by Haymarket, who also own Autocar, hence they have huge access to contacts.

NAGTROC is also quite large and very commercially minded with loads of sponsors and they have a far bigger R35 market in the US, with 1 years greater experience.

GTROC has a news site. But it appears very very very thin on news and i have no idea why and GT-R news breaks by the day last 24 months. News page should be the first thing that hits you when click on site. Does it need someone more commited to up keep ? no discrspect to anyone who runs it now, but clearly its not in same league as gtrblog. I don't know why GTRblog doesn't get linked to the site, Kris is clearly a leader in GT-R news and he does it as a part time hobby.

Pistonhead forums are not that busy are they ? NAGTROC and GTR UK have equal memember numbers. UK site establish many more years. I do not agree nagtroc is more commercially minded, UK shop has far more for sale. nagtroc has more US traders which sadly this site can not pull similar quality UK traders.

The guys behind this site clearly have every Nissan GB, EU, JP contact going Guy. But for what ever reason we do not see interviews or many exclusives frankly. best we got was the Nurburgring time in the summer appeared here before the other two sites. ok hats off for also breaking the GT-R news at Goodwood 2 years ago.

For fun i post up news on the Super GT race car and FIA GT GTR's on here.

The funniest thing is even Nissan Sports with very new members and forum chat appears to have way better relationship with:

1. Nissan
2. Gigawave
3. RJN

win a place on race adademy is just one example

nissansportz -> nissansportz News Feed

Relationship, neg skill what ever. GTRUK is behind the rest fact.

I also notice all/most of the Nissan dealers who popped up last year have pretty much disapeared ? oh well.

I am talking from someone who purely loves GTR's and this site.

·
Banned
2,230 Posts
As I understand it, the new website will have a much more news based approach

who will provide that news though, I have no idea

lol

mook

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
As I understand it, the new website will have a much more news based approach

who will provide that news though, I have no idea

lol

mook

I put myself forward to be in charge of GT-R news :p

i will do it for free

i will also happily call up Nissan press office and tell them our HQ meet is loooong over due

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not altogether encouraging when the site owner drives a Porsche ( which is a very good car.)

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Allow me to interject.

Ultimately, this site and the club are run by volunteers. As a result, it's very difficult to get people to retain their interest in generating content and community material in the absence of recompense. Having good people carry out owners club duties is a very difficult achievement. Most get bored after the initial enthusiasm wears off and quit.

Piston Heads is, and always has been, an editorial site. They have paid-for staff writers who are full time in generating content. On top of that, as Guy has rightly pointed out, they are practically a sister publication of Autocar - nobody can deny the inside knowledge that magazine has. To add, manufacturers are far more interested in supporting commercial entities - publications that will help them ultimately sell more cars.

I want everybody to ignore the current news section of this site. It's appalling and pretty embarassing. I know this and it is only me who can do something about it as this is my site and mine only.

I'm currently investing a stupid amount of my own cash into taking GTR Register into the next step. We've already negotiated with a number of key journalists to provide editorial content for us in such a way, it should make this site a premiere resource for GTR related news from around the world. You guys need to apply some patience for that, it's going to be pretty darn cool.

I put myself forward to be in charge of GT-R news :p

i will do it for free

i will also happily call up Nissan press office and tell them our HQ meet is loooong over due
If you are genuinely serious about this, then I'll take you up on your offer. You and I should speak - it would be beneficial to both of us. However, others should take note. It's really easy to criticise a free service, but equally difficult to stand up and offer yourself to make a difference.

I'm not delirious about the way Nissan offer this site absolutely no support. It's always been a bug bear of mine and despite the 10's of 1000's of pounds I'm pouring into this (for what reason, I ask you??), they do not recognise our efforts in making the GTR have it's voice in the UK.

The car I drive is irrelevant. It's a pointless observation that has no merit to this debate.

We've just migrated the site onto a new platform - again at great cost. It's now sitting on 2 different servers with the web platform and database platform as separate.

The design of the site is complete and we're taking full advantage of social networking mediums to give users a richer user experience.

The site's being built to take advantage of proper, rich, content - including social network user generated content and editorial journalist columns.

I don't want to go into it in too much detail as the surprise should still remain. Suffice to say, I recognise that this site could do much more to provide users with a better experience. However, as you all do, we also have families, jobs and careers - our challenge is finding that balance of committment and if there's any of you who feel they can help the GTROC - send me a PM :)

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blow Dog,

I presume you run this site on some form of commercial basis, given you incurr costs and take revenue e.g from banner adds.

Even if direct P&L is negative month to month, I suspect you have an asset of financial value, which you could sell. If you don't agree, i'll take it off your hands gratis, and rid you of the burden:p

So if you are ploughing money in here, I doubt it is just for the love of it.

Everyone really appreciates the voluntary contributions made, but lets face it, much of the value in this forum is also made up of the contributions of those that post here ... and those that visit as a result.

The R35 has shifted the complexion of GTR ownership in the UK and the register / club needs to move with the times; I'm not sure it has yet done that. I'd be looking urgently at events, moderation,news content and 'democracy' for starters.

Personally I like your car, but I'd never vote for a labour MP that sent his kids to public school:thumbsup: (joke)

I'd be up for a club meet with Mizuno San:cool:

Ed

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Lots of interesting points. The club is run by volunteers and is separate from the forum. However this is a symbiotic relationship and both work very well together. That said the cloub always needs more hands to help and the upcoming AGM is the place for people to step forward.

As far as events etc. are concerned and getting R35 people to participate more I think those that have shown willing have been impressed. Bruntingthorp was a good example as are the social meets and some other events. However a lot of forum users seem to constrain themselves to only certain areas of this forum and miss out on a lot of other events, activities and information. Perhaps this will take some time to change or perhaps it is the nature of the new car that is less of a committed enthusiast who buys it? I don't think we can say for sure right now.

I am aware as are the GTROC Board of the meetings with Mizuno-san and we are working on that. However I am away on a Lands End to John O'Groats drive so aren't up to speed with the latest information. However, this will be addressed upon my return

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
as a mod I try to post stuff of interest, I have a list of topics I need to post stuff on but

its very easy to post a comment but to put pictures up or research takes longer, its very easy to get criticised on this site if you go off half baked...

I can copy pictures from other sites/countries and post here but personally interested the UK scene. Recently I've been very busy at work so I've not posted so much, I will put up some stuff when I get time.

The UK R35 scene is very new whereas the older GTR's is more developed in the UK. Really its only been 6 months of a UK R35 GTR car and most owners are scared of there warranties. NA has a year on us.

Ben post's lots of content from other sites for us to discuss, I'm fine with that but it tends to lead to him supplying stuff, good luck to him that he is proactive as long as he doesn't dominate it. Why don't some of the people here go and get or make content for the rest of us to talk about?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I for one, really appreciate the site as it is. I run a golf forum, and i know how much time and effort it takes to make even the smallest of changes. Although i run it as a totally free enterprise with all advertising going to the membership, so there is no commercial aspect to it. And we are up against some very very big commercial sites. But we have a strong loyal group of guys who travel all over the UK to play golf with each other. So in the same way, i have met with Need4Speed, had amazing advice and support from Charles Charlie, and read lots of really insightful and helpful posts today alone eg Supraman on insurance, RichGT on knock etc. And i hope to meet up with lots of you down the line.

If there are changes coming - cool. If not, cool. It's still a great forum for me, and my new R35, and will continue to grow with all the new 35's coming on line with the GTROC pack included with new cars.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts