GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the info on the previous thread - delimiting the speedo. Still haven't done it yet as I was not too comfortable with the tuner I talked to and am still in search of one.

Anyway, I noticed that the turbos on my R34 went progressively (over the course of 3 weeks) from a peak boost of 1.05 bar to 1.1 and then to 1.2 bar last Sunday. Took the car to Nissan Hong Kong and checked the ECU & the turbos. According to them, everything/readings is normal and attributed the surge in the boost to the performance parts that was in the car.

However, the same parts were in the car before when it peaked at 1.05 and 1.1 bar. I also spoke to a friend who said that it was probably due to the drop in temperature (as we in the early autumn 24 C - 28 C from summer's 28 C - 33 C) which creates a higher compression ratio ...etc.

I also read somewhere that before a tubo blows, it will run at a higher boost for a short while and then just blows itself. I am a bit confused and concerned.

Is there any other thing I could do to check or see if there is any other plausible explanation that someone could offer?

One other thing, anyone know ARC's website address or where I can get some air filter for replacement and, are the foam type better?

thanks,

J

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brenhan.
At least I know roughly how much I need to spend for replacement if I were to break/damage for example the rear diffuser.
J

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
If you are overboosting due to exhaust/air-filter combo then you really should fit a boost controller to keep thing within a safety margin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dino,

Any reason why the boost did not go to 1.2 before? I mean the air filter/exhaust combo was in place over a month ago but yet the boost was then only 1.05!

The change in temperature a contributary factor?

J

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
Eek,.... Foam!!!!!

Jen,

Air filters have been discussed X amount of times in depth before.

Have a look at old threads.

But what ever you do, try to avoid foam.

If you want good filteration and so protection , with reduced restriction
fit K&N or better still Apex'i.

Sorry HKS people. You pay your money, you make your choise.

From your friendly Air Induction System Designer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Scott,

Will avoid foam. Am looking for the filters for my ARC filter and a GTR V-spec owner said foam was better in his experience. Did a quick look at the threads (on this site), where are those threads on air filters?

Guys,

I am getting the impression that we got a bit lost here as the question I was asking was about how come or why the R34 stock turbo went to a peak boost of 1.2 bar (over 3 weeks from initially 1.05 to 1.1 to last Sunday to 1.2!). Please see the begining of the thread.

Regards,

J

·
Registered
404 Posts
breath easy

Scott,

At the Kemble track day I was talking to Shin, about air filters and his expert opinion was that you are better of with the standard air box with a K&N filter, rather that the cone type that most of us have. :eek:

The reasoning being that the cone type draw hot air from the engine bay, and the original air box draw air straight from the front of the car. :eek:

I’ve got an Apexi cone setup with the original intake ducting air onto the cones. :)

Another system I’ve heard of is the Iceman air box that uses a patented 2 layer plastic to reduce the effects engine bay heat even more. :cool:

What's your professional opinion of these systems, and what do you use. :confused:

Paul.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
Air filteration

Jen,

So not to clutter this thread, and because I have been asked for this write up before,
I have just found for you and others my write up on air filteration as I wrote earlier
this year on the old message board.

Also covers Shins issue.

Its under: Tuning, Engine Mods.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Guy

Yep they look better. Nuff said. All this technical jargon is just toooo much in the morning.

Scott

I just read that thread about air filters etc., again, and I am knackered. Why can't you show pictures like DCD. Much easier on the old grey matter :D . You clever sod you ;) .

glen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts