GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 years of driving with hks hipermax pro i have noticed that there are some interieur parts that has come loose. i hear a squicking noise from the drivers door and alot of ratteling inside the car when driving on an oneven road.
i wan't the car to be how it was 4 years ago again.

First i will get rid of those stupid hipermax coils and do the soundproofg after as a project.

my question is, has anyone did somthing like this before?
and i need some advise for what to buy and where to look.

Any advis is welcome.
Thanks.

What i have found till now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApTWJ2n76cM
NEW CAR CHROME SOUND PROOFING SOUND DEADENER MAT 39" x 24" | eBay
1.5 x 2 Metre Car & Van Carpet Underlay Underfelt Sound Proofing Deadening Liner | eBay

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sound deadening matt is a good place to start. Also fill interior chassis cavities with expanding foam if you want to add some stiffness to the chassis but will also act to suppress some noise.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
Check my project thread. I did loads of sound proofing but the results were dissapointing.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
...Also fill interior chassis cavities with expanding foam if you want to add some stiffness to the chassis but will also act to suppress some noise.
Have you ever foam filled a chassis with the stuff?

Have your heard what happens when a bit dislodges?

You think rattles and a few squeaks are annoying, imagine the sound of fingers rubbing over a rubber balloon constantly...inside your chassis...good luck getting that out!

wouldn't do it..2¢

Stiffen up your car with some proper bracing. Check out the Nismo stuff they are making for the old cars, RHDJapan or someone like that can probably get it ordered for you.

As you said, get some well balanced spring rates for Euro roads. a little compliance is not bad on the road.

See if you can track down your noises and attack them directly before throwing in tons of matting to the car. sometimes it could be a simple job of a zip tie to hold down a loose bundle of cable that is rubbing somewhere.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have you ever foam filled a chassis with the stuff?

Have your heard what happens when a bit dislodges?

You think rattles and a few squeaks are annoying, imagine the sound of fingers rubbing over a rubber balloon constantly...inside your chassis...good luck getting that out!

wouldn't do it..2¢
Mines done for chassis stiffening and I've never had an issue

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Been in a few cars with it done, with issues. not to mention in this climate, it doesnt help let moisture evaporate quickly.

BUT by all means op, do as you wish, its your car.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advise guys.
I will start with tracking de noise sources and tie them down.
But first i have to make the ride softer.:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would recommend alubuthyl for reducing the interieur noise. its often used in the audio scene. but the problem is its very heavy. so i only used it for my doors. not the best solution for the skyline. function is very great, but the weight isnt good for a performance car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I tried dynamat, used to on door panels which would vibrate. also tried it on the floor of my 200sx where deadening was removed. Worked ok to reduce the tinny sound of stones hitting the underside of the car.

For the interior i tried a dense fabric but it did little but not enough to drown out the exhaust. I did find proper fitting tyres with a higher profile to work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm from Hong Kong and own a BCNR33 as you do. I've been very keen on keeping my car as quiet as possible for years. I tried dynamat-like alubuthyl two years ago on the floor, door skins, rear quarter and trunk. Although it did reduce the vibration and interior noise to a certain extent, I was quite disappointed. The car is still noisy in my opinion (I use Mine frontpipe, silent de-cat and kakimoto Regu 06/R muffer). Considered such marginal improvement and the weight gain, I finally remove alubuthyl and it was a real nightmare to get those alubuthyl away.

Last year, I finally source some other noise-reducing sheet from China (called Turich) which is similar to 3M thinsulate. This time, I did not use those alubuthyl and just fill in the floor, rear quater, door skin and trunk with those Turich things, the interior noise is markedly reduced and my car is now as quite as my brother's E93. I guess instead of dampening the vibration or blocking the noise, the foam simply absolute the noise. It is super light-weight, easy to install and not absorb water.

Attached please find some pictures of what I did. If you couldn't get those Turich things, try to use similar stuff from other brands but avoid alubuthyl.

Cheers!:chuckle:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm from Hong Kong and own a BCNR33 as you do. I've been very keen on keeping my car as quiet as possible for years. I tried dynamat-like alubuthyl two years ago on the floor, door skins, rear quarter and trunk. Although it did reduce the vibration and interior noise to a certain extent, I was quite disappointed. The car is still noisy in my opinion (I use Mine frontpipe, silent de-cat and kakimoto Regu 06/R muffer). Considered such marginal improvement and the weight gain, I finally remove alubuthyl and it was a real nightmare to get those alubuthyl away.

Last year, I finally source some other noise-reducing sheet from China (called Turich) which is similar to 3M thinsulate. This time, I did not use those alubuthyl and just fill in the floor, rear quater, door skin and trunk with those Turich things, the interior noise is markedly reduced and my car is now as quite as my brother's E93. I guess instead of dampening the vibration or blocking the noise, the foam simply absolute the noise. It is super light-weight, easy to install and not absorb water.

Attached please find some pictures of what I did. If you couldn't get those Turich things, try to use similar stuff from other brands but avoid alubuthyl.

Cheers!:chuckle:
Looks very interesting!! Have tried to sound proof the car, with little luck, will try that stuff !! Thanx!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts