GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i've been floating around for a few years now. Owned 33 gtst then 34 gtt. I've recently left the forces and have landed a well paid job... so i'm obviously very happy with that in the current climate.

I check this forum as a guest pretty much every day and drool over various projects and cars for sale.

I sold my 34gtt last year due to getting a life sentence...........sorry married!

i'd love for my next car to be an R34 GTR. However despite earning good money, it would probably take me around 4 years to save for one, especially as the wedding cleaned me out.

So my question is simple.....

how does everyone manage to pay for there cars?

Finance, save up, half and half???!!!

I understand if people don't fancy sharing such info, but if anyone wants to shed some light for me and give me some ammunition to convince the wife i'd be very greatful.
:thumbsup:

just posted this and seen my pitiful post count. I've spent to much time away from home over the last few years : (

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bank ownes most of mine :nervous:
cheers for the reply. i thought that might have to be the route i take, do i really want to wait years to have one??!!

does anyone actually pay for theirs outright or is this the route most people take?

looks like i may have to start looking for some loans.....

if and when my flat finally sells that is :chairshot

·
Registered
736 Posts
in japan... its super frowned upon to use a loan... most people over there pay cash...

how ever. everywhere else in the world.. why would you not use a loan? why wait years when u can have it now!!

i say go for the loan.

just make sure the car is properly insured.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cash :flame:
wish i had the cash to burn...

unfortunately my thinking of 'yeah i think i'll get engaged, we probably won't get married for a few years' didn't quite work out.

so any cash i did have got pee'd up the wall by 150 guests who'll i'll probably never see again....

you gotta love weddings :mad:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
lol, congratulations - got married earlier this year, stupidly I proposed thinking it would buy me another ten years or so but she turned into bridezilla and we were hitched within 10 months of popping the question... :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I save up and pay cash.. Although what I have done is saved half and used a loan for the rest before. Then you have a car which is always worth more than you owe, so if the worst happens you have available funds if the car is sold :)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
the bank ownes most of mine :nervous:
on a serious note, my bank does own a bit of mine. But i have enough in the bank to pay it off if i need to. But i have a super low rate that only cost's me a few quid a month more than buying the thing out right.

as they earn penny's out of me a month i decided not to pay it off and live with dept that i can afford no worries and spend my free money on the motor. After christmas i might just pay off the motor as its only maybe a months wages owing.

as for yourself getting a monster loan to pay for the motor, well if you dont have enough money lying around to pay for the car in the first place, well dont buy one. These cars cost alot of money to up keep. I have smashed 7k into my car over the last couple of months. . Money that i have spare because the bank ownes a bit of my car. But if i had purchased out right then i wouldnt have the 7k spare that i have just spent.

in other words dont max out your out goings.

·
Registered
353 Posts
WELL GUYS A GOOD THREAD BUT TRY SPENDING 25K ON TOP OF PURCHASE PRICE IN THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS
AND NOW IM BROKE :(

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
exactly, buying the car is easy...(tongue in cheek) loan or not, its the money that you spend after the purchase that can criple most people.

To be honest, unless you earn 40k plus a year (and you dont live with parents) then i cant see you owning a R34 gtr and being capable of putting the money in that these cars demand .

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
cash on the barrelhead. If you want to tune the thing, it's the only responsible way to do it, especially with family to consider.

But if you just want the car itself and won't touch it, then I suppose you could go out and finance one like any other car. They're not that expensive. It's the tuning that gets out of hand.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I bought a rough one (But with lots of bits on it) and spent the next 9 years tidying it up.

....Not recommended!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
9 years! well, considering the list of things to do, and to bring the car to a fully restored-and-then-some state, I'll probably be adding and rebuilding and replacing for about that long.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yup, 9 years....Wasted sooooo much time and soooo much money on it, i will have to keep it forever now!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts