GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SatNav car and asked the HPC today how the database for speed cameras gets updated and he didn't know!

Does anyone know how updates to the camera database work?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Finally got a response from Navteq:

Thank you for your interest in our products.

NAVTEQ is the database supplier for many different navigation systems on the market. However, at this moment we do not handle the distribution of products for your navigation system.

To receive information regarding products for your navigation system, we recommend you to contact your Nissan dealer directly.
Which is a bit inadequate basically so guess it's back to the dealers now...

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
You could buy a TomTom for that...

:popcorn:

·
Registered
919 Posts
You could buy a TomTom for that...

:popcorn:
Hmm I don't think the amount is that unreasonable I just wish you could download it and install from USB to reduce the price a little and make the process simpler.

My wife has a Tom Tom Live in her car. I pay £8 per month just for traffic and speed camera updates (free in the GTR) and something like £60 a year in update subscriptions, so the price is on a par with Tom Tom for a much better system. If only Navteq could push more regular updates to download they could be cheaper than Tom Tom.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
So your gtr satnav downloads up to date speed camera locations?

I thought u just got traffic updates.

·
Registered
919 Posts
So your gtr satnav downloads up to date speed camera locations?

I thought u just got traffic updates.
No I assume you get the Speed Camera updates as part of the annual update CD-Rom. The Traffic updates are a free service on the GTR but chargeable for Tom Tom. the GTR re-routing is also much more competent than Tom Tom and the interface is better.

Given that the Sat Nav was only released in Q4 2009 I cant see an update release until later this year.

All I was trying to say is that for as much of a like for like comparison as is possible given the unknown (but presumably annual) update frequency of the CD Roms, the prices appear quite similar. I MUCH prefer the GTR Sat Nav to Tom Tom (which I couldn't say about my previous Nissan Sat Nav).

I just wish you could get more frequent updates downloaded to USB, I would be happy to pay for a subscription for something like this.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Can you explain what you mean about annual update CD-ROMs?
If the only way in which the Nav data can be updated is via CD-ROM (actually I think it is a DVD but the principle is the same), then the supplier will not be changing them every week it will not be worth their while. I have just assumed they will release the updates once per year (as that makes more sense). I am also guessing that the updates will only be made available when the supplier releases them to Nissan for installation in new cars. I am not holding my breath until after September.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.