GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the panel fitted to the lower part of the dash, that surrounds the clock, on a R32?

There is a link on the "Electronics" part of this forum, that describes how to repair the clock on a 300ZX. The guy thinks the clock is the same as a Skyline.

I have an electronics genieous in work who will try the repair on mine, if it works, there will be a lot of happy R32 owners out there!! I have been told that the clocks on the 32's give up the ghost quite regularly.

Anyhow, if someone can tell me how to remove the panel, I'll let you all know if the repair works or not.

S

·
0 Posts
Not sure but

You are spot on with the 300zx ref. .. the clocks are gas discharge I believe and pack up with alarming regularity, there was a guy on the Z forum who repaired them too.. As Nelson want £170 for new one!! :( Jeezz

Not sure on the R32 but I just pulled my GTR33 center console panels off, I pulled the ashtray and there are 2 phillips screws in there, snap (gently) the panel out and there are two more phillips screw heads, remove and then rest is on clips, which take quite a 'yank' to unfasten. It helped me to lower the steering wheel and the whole console shroud came away enough to remove the Aircon and Stereo holster (4 more phillips screws)

I would suggest a magnetic screwdriver with possibly a blob of blue tack on the end to avoid losing the screws in the bowels of the skyline :)

I can also have a shout around the Z forum for anyone who might have a spare clock for you if you can't fix it too, let me know:)

Peace,

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Can't be that hard as I have had the clock out before. Will be taking clock out this weekend to try and fix it. If I remember right, just need to remove a few screws and it fits a bit tight across the top of the steering column.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this repair works dave, send me your clock and I'll get it done for you, unless of course you know someone already who can do it for you.

Have you ever tried disconnecting your battery for a while, to see if it works for a few minutes when you reconnect. Mine does, so I'm fairly confident the repair will work as shown on the 300ZX site.:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
My brother can design circuit boards so I have got that covered:smokin:
My battery used to go flat so it used to come off for charging so I know that does not work.
I used an Optimate now (thanks to alan) so it is always fully charged:)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clock's not the same dave!! If you find the repair before me, let us all know. I'm gonna take mine to the electronics wizards in work and see what they come up with. I'll post the fix on here if we find it!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
ok:)
my brother says that he agrees with the idea behind the fix. The resistors are replaced with a higher amp rating as the oe items are not high enough for the display.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Took the clock out last night and is with bro now.
Can see why I could not remember how to get the dash apart. How many screws:D
Still it led to a blast down the local lanes so it was an enjoyable evening. Sorry to the family I overtook on the narrow straight near my house, my mates have commented that it sounds like a jet fighter when I overtake there :D :smokin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts