GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m new to the forum but have been a long time stalker. As I’m new I better introduce myself and explain what kind of petrolhead I am!

Since I was a kid I was always interested in cars and that has only continued to grow and manifest itself into my adult life. I am a fan of many marques and hope that when I finish my studies and enter the world of employment (reality!) I can hopefully feed my addiction and experience the many great and exceptional cars the car world has to offer. However as this is a GT-R forum I suppose I better keep things strictly to Skylines!

Out of all the modern Skylines the R32 interests me the most. Thanks mostly to the amazing history and legacy the car has due to its victories both on and off the track. When I get into a position to buy my first serious enthusiasts car I think it will be an R32 GT-R.

Going back to my original question, from the 40,000 or so thousand cars that were built during the cars life cycle how many of those cars were kept original like they were from the factory? I know this is a difficult question to accurately answer but from the cars that are coming up for sale in both the UK, Europe and Japan how many come up and at what price? Although I’m not in the market for a R32 at the moment I am interested to know if the task of finding a standard R32 is plausible or possible.

Anyway I hope to learn many new things about the Skyline and when I do manage to get the funds together, join your ranks as an owner of one of these fine machines!

Cheers,

Cameron

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
If you want to buy one to keep in stadnard condition and look after (perhaps as an investment). I would suggest looking at one of the special editions like a Nismo car or perhaps a V-Spec.

The question must be are you going to keep the car standard? If not then you'd be wasting your time and money. Likewise without some solid history how can you know that the previous owner hasn't put the car back to standard.

If the above doesn't bother you why not do what Brian has and buy a mostly strandard car and put it back to stock.

Personally if I was amining to drive s standard car I'd go for a V-Spec II. That way you'll get the bigger wheels and better brakes which (IMHO) are the two things that the R32 needs.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
It is virtually impossible to guarantee that any car that is stock when you see it hasnt been modded at some point and then returned to stock . How do you tell . The answer is you cant.
So really one can only really go on current spec and condition IMHO

However to answer the question directly
If you are sincere in looking for a 100% completely stock car the answer is finding one is extremely hard to harder and finding one for sale is harder still. And if you want a special edition or model add another "harder and thyen an awful lot more costly " to the answer. If you are ok with a few mods it will be so much easier to find

A very valid question ...................... why do you want a completely stock car .

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have one for sale.

Stock exterior, stock exhaust, 100K km, fresh import, no rust, just engine service done with:

HKS timing belt
N1 water pump
N1 oil pump
ARP rod bolts
ACL bearings
OEM timing tensioner / idler
All fluids changed.

Not registered in Europe yet.

Gun grey colour, 1991 model.

Volk Racing wheels

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Sorry but you dont . You have a new import where the engine has been completely rebuilt . New rods bolts and an oil pump isnt a service and besides as I understand things yours also has aftermarket wheels.

Now my reply to you would be an an unreasonable comment on any for sale thread but it is absolutely valid where the topic is looking for a 100 % stock car

Just to confirm - There is absolutely nothing wrong with modified infact it is usually an improvement but modified isnt stock.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sure I understand, but it's just serviced with OEM Nissan parts, plus a few aftermarket parts which can be swapped to stock.

It has never been tuned and even has a stock exhaust, cat and downpipe. Stock airbox etc.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Sorry but you dont . You have a new import where the engine has been completely rebuilt . New rods bolts and an oil pump isnt a service and besides as I understand things yours also has aftermarket wheels.

Now my reply to you would be an an unreasonable comment on any for sale thread but it is absolutely valid where the topic is looking for a 100 % stock car

Just to confirm - There is absolutely nothing wrong with modified infact it is usually an improvement but modified isnt stock.
A complete engine rebuild as long as it used OEM Nissan parts would make it stock. Any other bits non stock that are on the car if they can easily be put back what is the harm?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Some people favour the 'unmolested' feel.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
A complete engine rebuild as long as it used OEM Nissan parts would make it stock. Any other bits non stock that are on the car if they can easily be put back what is the harm?
simply that the op wanted an untouched original car .

Changing the seats or replacing a filter cos they are worn is one thing and servicing which of course fine and to be expected

But once the motor has been stripped to replace the bearings it isnt a factory built engine and for anyone specifically after an original car this would surely be a real issue.

Outside this thread no problem at all and If the guy had put up a for sale thread I wouldnt dream of commenting but he is trying to sell his car on the actual thread about unmolested stock cars.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I myself would love to do the same, get a gtr in amazing condition and as stock as stock can get.
Only question would changing EVERY oem replaceable part for a NISMO equivalent be a bad thing as basically it'd be a "kind of" nismo car.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I myself would love to do the same, get a gtr in amazing condition and as stock as stock can get.
Only question would changing EVERY oem replaceable part for a NISMO equivalent be a bad thing as basically it'd be a "kind of" nismo car.
It wouldn't be a bad thing, very good in fact. However It wouldn't make it a nismo built car with a nismo chassis number and engine plaque. We're straying from the subject of stock cars though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a near standard V spec on genuine 17" bbs wheels. I would have loved it to have a standard exhaust and I have been hunting for a decent standard air box to replace my pod filter. Other than these two mods its factory including all suspension etc.

I spent 2.5 years hunting for a near standard car to be honest it was a near impossible task if you can find one more power to you, but in the end for me it came down to as someone already said finding a V spec or v specII and as near standard as possible.
Buy the best condition car you can as near to OE as possible and then source the standard bits, that in its self is very difficult.

Dynamically a standard car is a little soft but even as standard I think everyone would agree its still a special road car over 20 years on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the general consensus is that it is very difficult to find one, if at all, and that the standard R32 in stock spec is too soft and underpowered to be entertaining?
In regards to why I would prefer a stock car, I just prefer experiencing the car as the team of engineers intended it to be. I think the bonkers 1000bhp R32's and race spec cars are great but not for me.

I better do some research into the various editions they did during the R32's life cycle.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which book(s) to use to improve my knowledge about Skylines in general?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
So the general consensus is that it is very difficult to find one, if at all, and that the standard R32 in stock spec is too soft and underpowered to be entertaining?
Far from it!

Standard cars (or close as possible) are fantastically entertaining to drive.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I actually Know if one for sale by a friend near me for as little as 9k
Completely stock and very clean! Just had no interest to date.
;)
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I have a stock 32gtr which i do drive and whilst the suspension was quite soft that was because like most 20year old cars the oem suspension was worn out.
Luckily i managed to find a new set of oem suspension units. Fitting them changed the car the suspension is now spot on and certainly not soft.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Pretty much any car can be entertaining in its own way but the R32 is not a light car and Nissan restricted it and generally over-engineered it so its pretty painless to enhance its performance in most areas which is probably why most people do it. The chassis is capable of handling a lot more power than standard.

Speaking personally mine had filters and exhaust with standard boost and standard suspension when I bought it. It sounded nice, had nice steering feel and handled quite well for an old car on OEM suspension but it was a bit dull and I didn't think much of the brakes.

I guess it depends what you want in a car. Something to not use and leave in a garage to appreciate (or depreciate) in value or something you'll want to drive often and have some fun in. Personally I think cars are there to be driven and a bit of sympathetic 'enhancing' adds to the overall driving experience but some people like to store them and go on about how rare their oil filler caps or strut braces are. I think they're missing out but each to their own.

Cheers

Stu

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts