GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an owner of a 300 zx TT i know a few things that tend to go west after age/miles. Ie. Turbos approx 120K and gearboxes dont seem to do too well either.

As i am looking for a R-33 GTR at the moment i just wanted some advice on which parts tend to go first and really how long the turbos last for before they seize.

What noises strike fear into your hearts??!!

All info will be much appriciated!

Thanks very much

LUKE

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
they will last 5 mins if

you run them at high boost.
Max recommendations are 1 -1.1 bar max so check any car you look at for high boost on std internals. Steel internals are good for 1.2 -1.3 bar.
Any more boost and you need bigger turbos.
Always look for low oil pressure on tickover....one shagged crank. Also listen for big end noises around the sump.

Have a look at www.gtrowner.com for all you answers and MAKE SURE you get it checked by a good tuner in your area.

NLW

B

·
0 Posts
well the turbos when they get old they will soon get wet and eventually sorta get rusty and it will die out.that's bassicaly what happen's with a car with alot of miles and equipped with standard turbos.

S

·
0 Posts
High Milers

My car has covered 92K on stock everything with Abbey ECU and just under 1 bar boost - done by Abbey with a comprehesive Abbey history, the car is rock solid.

No smoke and very very responsive, not soggy at all what the hell ever that means;)

Anyway get one or be square!

Good luck btw, there is ALOT more information out there for the 300zx than there is with the GT-R though:)

Nice one,

S

·
0 Posts
Oh and Luke bud,

This place is not full of T**sers either ;) ;)

Ohhhhh handbags handbags!

I will never, in all seriousness, post on 300zx.co.uk again.

Shame really as the place is soon to be running on my donated(ish) hardware - good luck to Craig though, a top top fella and with the patience of a Saint.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Those big singles

make me wet.
fuggles motor is on 94k I think on same turbos as well.
I guess it is the way you treat them and don't run too much boost through them and you will be fine.
NLW

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Nick what do you call low oil pressure then ?

mine sits just above 2kg/wotsit when idling but picks up to about 5 when you touch the throttle...

/Steve

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
steveo

I once saw a shagged R33 and on idle it was at like 1 on idle, had a very noisy bottom end and it struggled to get over 3 when on a good run!!
Yours sounds fine to me and that is what mine reads when on idle and udner revs when hot.
obviously higher under idle when cold.

NLW

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
no worries

that seems to be the norm for cars unless they have a bigger oil pump and some serious mods in which case they seem to run some higher pressures...but then they have the gaskets and so on to do so.
NLW

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
SteveC said:
Nick what do you call low oil pressure then ?

mine sits just above 2kg/wotsit when idling but picks up to about 5 when you touch the throttle...

/Steve
Steve.........my car's oil pressure read the same amount, my car is a 2002 R34 GTR with 6000 miles on it and completely stock.

Your car seems to be doing excellent.

Jeff

B

·
0 Posts
i meant that if a turbo for any reason get's wet due to humidity or whatever it will eventually rust.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I was in a GTR in some rain and the filter got wet, misfired all over the place.

the engine and turbos are so hot that they wouldn't stay wet so even humid air wouldn't affect them.

Ceramics dont go rusty and the turbos dry out quickly from damp air. You'd only have to worry about the shaft and that shouldn't rust.

Might be different if you poured water down the inlet but then you'd deserve the consequences if stupid enough to do that.

more likely the block would crack than do the turbos.

/Steve

S

·
0 Posts
Just to add a little more;

My GT-R 33 as I say has nearly 93K on the odo and it also has over 2 on idle and upto the top on throttle....

Good motors them there RB26's....

Let me know when you get one Luke

(oh and welcome back to the dark side when you do get one.. 'Use the Force Luke' when buying... ;) ;) )

S

·
0 Posts
...oh and dont obviously drive it thru a swamp, as this has a detrimental effect on the aquaticity of your turboids!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
BadMuthaR34 said:
i meant that if a turbo for any reason get's wet due to humidity or whatever it will eventually rust.
Hmmm ... I wish I'd read this before I commented in the JGTC Headlights thread ... BadMuntaR34, you are clearly talking from your anus! :p :eek: :rolleyes:

Dino, being in Japan you better look out dude .. in the rainy season you could loose an entire turbo to moisture intrusion! Beware!!! :D :D

S

·
0 Posts
Ive heard if you pour sand into the air filter it will soak up any naughty water particles.

I saw that on Robot Wars so it must be true.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts