GTR Forum banner

How FAST have you done the 1/4 mile?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the latest Japshow result, I notice that 10 second GTR is no longer a "really" fast car.
And all of us have heard from someone that their mate have a Skyline with 1000 bhp... :blahblah:

So what I want to know is how many of us have a 10 second GTR.
I also seen a few fast GTR that are using slick tyres... So lets keep it road tyres only to keep it fair.
While I would of like to keep semi-slick such as Toyo R888 out of it, I do know many big power GTR actually run these as their normal road tyres, therefore it will be allow in the poll.

I wonder what it will be... :rolleyes:

Please poll only if you have achieved the time, a 10 seconds spec car isn't a 10 seconds car until you have the slip to prove.
By definition, 10 seconds car mean your car have achieved the quarter mile in 10.9999 seconds or less. :)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
well listerofsmegs was, 10.98 or similar on 888's/

power was all over the shot, ranging from 550hp to 650 depending on what was working at the time! haha

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I did a load of 10.6 to 10.8 runs in my 32 using Dunlop Formula R's around 3 to 4 years ago.

It was my road car used the same tyres every day to and from work.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I voted in the 10s and have done it in quite a few different GTRs on normal street tyres.

I have done 9s on DOT street tyres that are legal and that "I" would happily use on the street but in the spirit of this pole its probably not quite what he's looking for.

Rob

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
just how much more grip on the strip do them r888's give you over a normal road tyre i.e bridgestones/goodyear's etc? Should they be included in the poll?

Im intrested as i would like some for mine but just how good are they as a street tyre? Are they still a good tyre in the wet?

In other words your doing 70mph down the motorway in heavy rain and there is a crash ahead............... will they stop me like a normal tyre? or should they be kept for dry days only and not fitted to an every day car~!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whats a good estimate for whp generally required to be that quick? I'm building a GT4088 R32....hopefully around 500rwhp; I kind of figured it would only do like 11.5 on street tires?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
500whp can get you into the 10s and 600whp very low 10s usually.

The 60ft is far more important, there's plenty of 600+whp GTRs not running 10s, concentrate on getting the 60ft into mid 1.5s / high 1.4s and you'll get a good ET well into the 10s from 500-600whp.

Rob

·
Registered
363 Posts
I voted in the 10s and have done it in quite a few different GTRs on normal street tyres.

I have done 9s on DOT street tyres that are legal and that "I" would happily use on the street but in the spirit of this pole its probably not quite what he's looking for.

Rob
bugger that...9's on DOT's are 9's on road tyres...i voted <9

10.3's on Federal road rubber...9.4's on DOT's. The only spirit you should be concerned with Rob is the one coming out of the bottle into your glass.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it me or I notice A LOT of the 10's car on DOT Semi Slick (R888, D01J, etc)

I am actually wondering IF 10's car are getting to the point where standard road compounds are not able to handle the power.

1.4-1.5 60ft is immense... the last time I was on a strip I was doing 1.8...
But I am honestly worry about my gearbox going POP!!!! :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
500whp can get you into the 10s and 600whp very low 10s usually.

The 60ft is far more important, there's plenty of 600+whp GTRs not running 10s, concentrate on getting the 60ft into mid 1.5s / high 1.4s and you'll get a good ET well into the 10s from 500-600whp.

Rob
what exactly makes a good 60ft time?, sorry for my ignorance.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Loads of components, weight, tyres and suspension just to name a few.

Oh, and the driver :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
10 sec GTR on street tyres.

10.86 on crappy old regular Nankang street tyres. They weren't even a "performance" street tyre.

Rob from RIPS can confirm this as he was the one driving the car at the time ;) Not sure what the 60ft time was.

1.4 - 1.5 60ft times aren't too hard. Our other GTR was doing 1.6 60ft times with 300kw at the wheels on 18" TE37's with only greddy lowering springs and full interior. Now that the car has around 400kw at the wheels im sure we can get it down to 1.4/1.5.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think GTRs should be running 8sec with DOT tires, like Supras and Evos....
I hope Paul, Jeff or Rob makes at least 8.99sec before 2010.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts