GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do around 18/20k miles in the GT-R per year, and the dilema is should I keep it for 3 or 4 years or upgrade every year to a nearly new car with around 1 or 2k miles on the clock?

It's probably cheaper to keep the same car for 4 years, but at what mileage would it become hard to sell? I know Smikee[?] just sold his 09 with 80k miles no problem, but probably 6 or 7k less than an average mileage car.

Was speaking to the famous Deankenny earlier and he said he's done ---- miles in the first month (you can fill in the blanks if you want Dean ;) so just wondering how much you other guys do per month?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
So far I've done 15k in 18 months. So the cars now sat at 24K. And it was a 60 reg.

I don't think I'd upgrade tbh, be happy modding the current car

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I don't think a high milage GT-R is hard to sell, you just have to price it accordingly.

Didn't someone recently sell an 09 for around £28k with 80k on the clock?
If they got double the use out of it over a 40k miles car being sold around £35k it seems that even high milage prices are holding up.

I personally believe it's because it's a car people aspire to own.
So you are always going to have people around the bottom end of the market and if a high milage one is all they can afford it'll get snapped up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Im doing 3-4k a year. Weekend mileage with occasional blast to Scotland or Wales. My 59 plate is mega low mileage and I hope to keep it that way if I ever sell it, it will be a good example!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
6k a year, its a weekend car.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
5-6k a year. Just under 5k atm with 4 months to go till the year, but won't be using her much over winter... had too many "shit that was close" experiences with people almost hitting me in icy/snowy conditions so would rather it wasn't the GTR that took the hit.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
09 plate with 8K on the clock :nervous: its in the for sale section, had some inquires but nothing concrete yet, would have thought a low mileage car in excellent condition would have been tempting for someone.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I only do about 3k a year. Which I find hard to do lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
09 plate with 8K on the clock :nervous: its in the for sale section, had some inquires but nothing concrete yet, would have thought a low mileage car in excellent condition would have been tempting for someone.
Do many people actually come on here when looking to buy a GTR though???
I think most people only visit/join the forum after they've purchased. Pistonheads and autotrader is your best bet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I joined here specifically to look to buy a GTR.
Also ask a number of questions of what to look out for and hear about peoples experiences and costs of owning one

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I think most people only visit/join the forum after they've purchased. Pistonheads and autotrader is your best bet.
I joined 6 months before buying to do research and bought both my R35s on here.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Bought mine with about 7 months Nissan warranty left on it, (59 plate) with 1 previous owner who was not a forum member.

I do weekends and one foreign road trip a year. Have not tracked it yet, but would love to do one sometime in the future.

SORN'd for the winter 6 months.

Probably 4K miles a year.

Satan

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I'm curious in other owners mind-set/thinking on the whole mileage thing.
I owned an MY11 for 12months and clocked approx. 17k in that time using it just as a weekend car. Having said that I did put on 3500 of that in one go on a euro road trip. I find it amazing that some of the owners here have managed to clock-up 3-4k a year which only equates to roughly 70-80 miles a week (in some cases as daily runners)
When I bought my first GTR I was conscious about the number of miles I was putting on it as I was concerned about its effect on resale. Then I thought I didn't buy a car of this performance etc to just leave it in the garage and not enjoy it fully. This bugged me for a couple of months but as you've probably gathered, I chose to use it. Eventually I chalked it in with 20k on the clock against a MY12 with 800miles back in July.
Not making any judgements or having a dig at anyone or questioning individual's logic (each to their own) just purely out of interest guys

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Not making any judgements or having a dig at anyone or questioning individual's logic (each to their own) just purely out of interest guys
Agreed, each to their own but I also don't see the point of owning something and not using it.
I may have only done 6,000 miles in my GT-R per year (9k in 18 months) but it did include a few track days to get some fun out of it.

It's not an investment. :)

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I just don't do many miles, simple as. Don't drive much for work, don't get many weekends where I could go away for a good drive. Rather have it sitting in the drive ready to be driven than anything else though. Makes it feel epic every time I do drive it!

Next year it'll be going on track/CATDT though, can't wait.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I joined a couple of months before I bought mine to ask pointless questions and pester current owners :). Found out what I needed to know and got one.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts