GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title.

When I first got the car the previous owner had a subscription but I chose not to renew (another bill - plus I probably wouldn't want the car back after It's been stolen) As some of you maybe aware, there was a thread about cars not starting and it seemed too coincidental that them particular owners didn't have a active subscription.

Well over the weekend for the second time in my 2 year ownership the car wouldn't start again and I was left stranded in a industrial area this time. Same key sign on the dash so I googled cobra, got their number and rang them.
Got the cobra lady to admit - I will continue to have this problem unless I'm paid up or remove it. Also, apparently they could not get it reset from their end because their was no communication between the satellite and the sim card and their wouldn't be for 72hours so I would have to recover the car.

Luckily after a few hours I managed to get it started. Either because they did something or because my wife who was bringing me tools and the spare keys got close enough with the spare key and cobra fob (Luckily I wasn't miles away or in another country eh?)

So who of us is not paid up and having no problems?

Also I hate carrying that stupid card about.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
It was probably my thread regarding Cobra you are referring to, they are deliberately immobilising cars with no subscriptions. Another guy I know who owns a GTR for his company which supplies supercar experiences had them immobilise his car, he phoned them and was told the same story that it would be 72 hours before they could reset it, he told them if was not done in two hours he would load it onto his trailer and take it up to their office in Cheshire where he would unload it and block the entrance, surprise surprise it was sorted in two hours! I have had another two forum members contact me since my thread went up who have had their cars immobilised and needed to know how to solve the problem. We need the Thatcham security industry watchdog and Nissan to get on this and sort the company out.

·
Administrator
31,902 Posts
it makes no sense. i had an RAC Trackstar and their policy was the opposite. If you aren't a subscriber and it gets stolen they WON'T let you subscribe to locate it. That's how it should be, cannot see how they can get away with it to be honest.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting...

I'd also like to point out this occasion is the same time of year as the 1st occasion. The 1st time it happened I had to walk home and get the spare key. Again, I don't know if its the spare key and fob or them taking couple hours to reset. Maybe It's like changing your number with 02, tmobile etc They say up to 24hours but it never takes more then couple of minutes.

I don't trust the car, never know if I'm going to be stranded or not. Find myself taking the run around out more. Stupidity.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Surely this is illegal activity on their part and that the lady at Cobra blatantly admitted it is shocking. As Barry said, I think that somebody needs to raise this with Thatcham & Nissan and possibly even report it to Watchdog (I'm sure that it's happening to cars other than GTRs ...). That will soon kick them up the arse if they think that their reputation or Thatcham accreditation is on the line.

At the very least, demand compensation (I'm sure there's a friendly tuner out there who can write you up a bill for labour costs to get your car started ...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can Anyone out there can show us how wire the bypass up to avoid the car being recovered. Been trying to get the car started for 6 hours. Get 3 decent mechanics scratching there head to trying to help

It's quite easy to stop it happening again, just needs a small length of wire soldering in the correct place.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I doubt anybody is going to post on a public forum how to bypass a security system. You will need to either speak to Vodafone or take the car to one of the major independents who will do it for you in the workshop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts