GTR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Books vs real life.

Books are good. I read a ton of books. I read magazines. I read forums. I talk to people. I form my own opinion. I am not always right, and I can and have been proved wrong.

I know that BOV shouldn't leak, but they do. Too me, weighing the cost of BOV vs turbo life and turbo rebuilds, and potential for a failure point means that I don't want to run a BOV.

I have factory turbocharged cars that last more than 100,000 miles on a turbo without a BOV.

I have had turbos fail for all different reasons, I can't put my finger on one that was because I didn't have a BOV.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
skyline69_uk said:
Ashaft inbalance failure being one of the main ones, problems also appear at the exhaust side too etc.

Turbos should not fail - period - if they do it is because of something amiss or someone being a muppet. T
Should not fail - I will give some reasons I have seen for failure.

1. Ceramic exhaust wheel on a stock GT-R. High boost or detonation causes the exhaust wheel to fall off.

2. Contamination of the oil. Oil contamination normally after engine failure. People don't realize when they spin a bearing, those little bits of metal get pumped all over by the oil pump

3. No air filter. I have run no air filter before which obviously causes some issues.

4. Overspeed on the turbo. Its very possible to overspeed the turbo due to a leak. We had a rear intercooler line pop off on the track. Shortly after repairing the line, the rear turbo failed.

5. Oil coking in the housing. This ones a possible. I had a 2530 that had killed itself. Inside the housing was some left over coking that I couldnt get off. One a 2.2 bar+ run - with nitrous the rear turbo failed. Its possible due to overspeed, possible due to other things. I was drag racing, and I'm a do or die kind of guy. This car still had the stock BOV. 137 mph on 2530's. It was making some power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.