GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I ask is my car came with BOV's (not recirc ones) and all my recirc tubing has gone so no chance to retrofit to recirc.
BOV's mess up the AFM's but also leak and only hold boost to the spring rate of the BOV. Stronger springs can hold more boost but then BOV pressure release has increased also, same effect as not having a BOV at all?
Remove them and the leakage has gone, no more pressure relief but at a measily 1 bar does it really matter.

So do I invest in some new BOV's (as mine are past there best) or blank them off and run BOV-less.

Thats my choice but was wondering what the Skyline population has tried.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I see it if you run with a recirc valve everyone is happy and the engine works perfectly (up to 500+BHP on standard ones too) so stock is best.
However, I can not return to stock as the car came with BOV's and no stock piping.
AFM's get all confused when dumping air (or leaky valves) and the engine runs lean = bad and blows up.
Theory says that Turbos need a relief valve of some kind to protect them from boost back pressure when off the accelerator or gear changes.
No relief vales = poor turbo life.

Since my BOV's seized shut during winter last year the car ran better, I have recond the BOV's this summer and the car has run not as good. Blitz valves run on zero lubrication and are exposed to all the crap that our roads can chuck at it (GTR valves are located by the drivers side front wheel). Mine do-luck (sorry do look) worn and pitted and the certantly do leak.
I think I am going to take the bleeders off and run with out them. If something goes :popcorn: it will give me an excuse to upgrade.......

ps If you drive hard I notice you dont get a BOV discharge between gear changes anyway as the engine holds good revs keeping some sort of pressure in the system. Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think I know where you are coming from SteveN, when the recirc valve does its bit it basically dumps back to atmosphere pressure but keeps the volume of air constant (ie air mass is the same as the AFM's think it is) which helps the ECU fuel correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.