GTR Forum banner

How often will you service your 2009/10 when the warranty runs out?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I've done ridiculously small mileages inbetween my services; it's seemed crazy to be throwing oil away that's sometimes done only 200 miles but once out of warranty, common sense will prevail and I will service annually or more frequently depending on how I'm using the car.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I have done less than 1k since last service just before winter set in...will be annually for me post warranty on the basis I am doing circa 3.5/4k miles per annum in the car just now.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I'd start with this question..

Why should you service every 6 months when the virtually identical car 2-3 years later can now be serviced every 12 months?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll skip the 36 month service entirely and just get the geometry done and if I think the suspension is still sounding a bit clonky over low speed bumps (no difference whether on brakes or not, worse in comfort and when cold I think) get that looked at too.

I have Willall WR35TM in that has never been over 90C and will have 7000 miles use by then. Then engine oil I don't think has even reached 85C and will have 2500 miles use by then.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Oil and filter every 3k miles for me. That'll be twice a year. Probably no harm done once a year at 6k miles, but the oil will be pretty black by then. Which will no doubt play hell with my OCD. :)

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I do 7-9K miles a year, with about 500 of them track miles. I tend to time track days pre-service and do a motor oil change.

Given filters and oil cost less than £150 inclined to keep this up. What I'm less likely to do is change the tranny oil based solely on time elapsed, I'll follow a mileage and or sample check effort.

Having said that FFL4 is reasonable so, might just change. Most proper track animals run the Ozzie grease and treat their GT-Rs like a princess, where no expense is spared and each and every outing provides a good seeing too.

Mine's more like the missus, where we'll stick to servicing at fixed intervals unless its a special occasion.

Have said that, I'm looking at releasing some small investments that I put aside to pay for some modest upgrades, so might just combine the servicing with visits to the tuner and also obviously follow the tuners advice. Initially though I'm going for a better driver, better brakes, then better cooling, then better suspension, then better power.

Or, screw it, just do it in one big lump! :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I'll keep the 6monthly oil changes going with the HPC

And since i have 20litres of FFL4 probably do the tranny every 18months.

I'm hoping to do a lot more miles in the car in the second 3 years. Done 11k in 2.5 years.

Still not convinced i'll track her. Thinking about an MX5 or something very cheap like that for Knockhill if i can get business on a even keel and have some more play time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think I'll skip the 36 month service entirely and just get the geometry done and if I think the suspension is still sounding a bit clonky over low speed bumps (no difference whether on brakes or not, worse in comfort and when cold I think) get that looked at too.
Thistle, I had exactly the same symptoms on mine recently and Norwich NHPC eventually tracked it down to worn front anti roll bar bushes... Two lots of £3.50 rubber bushes later, all is well and quiet. May be worth pointing your servicing provider to have a look in that direction first.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
I am paranoid and changing oils more often can't harm - I do tranny every 12-14K and use Pentosin! Plus it is a nice day out to catch up with Arcam and learn more about the oily bits so cost isn't NHPC huge.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Don't these cars come with some documentation like a hand book ? doesn't it tell you in there the mileages for inspection/change on everything ?

I cant imagine why you would change at 6 months if you only do a thousand miles or so.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Don't these cars come with some documentation like a hand book ? doesn't it tell you in there the mileages for inspection/change on everything ?

I cant imagine why you would change at 6 months if you only do a thousand miles or so.
Why didn't any of us think of that?! :)

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Why didn't any of us think of that?! :)
LOL, I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not :D:D

Its just, as an "Outsider" I see a lot of questions being asked that on any other car would be in the booklet that came with the car. And as an ex mechanic I have seen loads of cars at 10+ years old with those books still like brand new and wrapped in plastic. And I have even had to show people how to operate things like electric mirrors, one guy didn't even know his car had a rear wash/wipe (He owned the car 3 years) , its all normally in the book.

So, Don't they have one ? if it does, what does it say about service schedules ?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Marky_GTSt, the point is whether to follow Nissan UK schedule, which is different to other countries and varies between model years without adequate justification.

Having reverse engineered the R35 ECM for Cobb, you may appreciate that I've read the documentation supplied with the vehicle, but am seeking views from educated owners, partly to validate my own plans. Whilst I'm not planning to sell the vehicle, myself and others will consider the views of other enthusiasts to gauge whether they are about to wreck the resale value of their vehicle by following commonsense rather than an illogical service schedule they stuck to during warranty period.

My transmission oil was changed after 8000 road miles, my engine oil is usually changed after 3000 road miles, both reaching between at least 70C from each cold start, but rarely exceeding 90C. In other words, it is absolutely babied in the best possible way and the service schedule lacks reason.

The logic behind the way the fluids are treated is that if they reach 70C, being driven gently before they do, then the engine oil in particular is not repeatedly being exposed to rich cold starts to reduce its viscosity performance, the engine is getting warm enough not to sludge, the oil is not getting hot enough to break down. The gearbox has a little more torque than the OEM intended, put through it occasionally, but only when warm.

My engine is only running 150 BHP/litre in road use. It is being tickled.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
But the buyer of your car later down the road doesn't know this and has to take your word for it. I'm not going to take the risk. Its probably not so much affecting resale value but I bet 50% of enquirers won't even come and have a look if you told them you have only serviced every 12 months becuase you tickle your engine :D

Marky_GTSt, the point is whether to follow Nissan UK schedule, which is different to other countries and varies between model years without adequate justification.

Having reverse engineered the R35 ECM for Cobb, you may appreciate that I've read the documentation supplied with the vehicle, but am seeking views from educated owners, partly to validate my own plans. Whilst I'm not planning to sell the vehicle, myself and others will consider the views of other enthusiasts to gauge whether they are about to wreck the resale value of their vehicle by following commonsense rather than an illogical service schedule they stuck to during warranty period.

My transmission oil was changed after 8000 road miles, my engine oil is usually changed after 3000 road miles, both reaching between at least 70C from each cold start, but rarely exceeding 90C. In other words, it is absolutely babied in the best possible way and the service schedule lacks reason.

The logic behind the way the fluids are treated is that if they reach 70C, being driven gently before they do, then the engine oil in particular is not repeatedly being exposed to rich cold starts to reduce its viscosity performance, the engine is getting warm enough not to sludge, the oil is not getting hot enough to break down. The gearbox has a little more torque than the OEM intended, put through it occasionally, but only when warm.

My engine is only running 150 BHP/litre in road use. It is being tickled.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Indeed! That is partly the reason for the thread to gauge this sort of opinion. There seems to be a healthy split on the issue.

However, the cost of the "full" 36000 mile service (I'll be on about 18000 miles by the time it comes around) is substantial. I wonder how many will do everything on the list?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts