GTR Forum banner

How often will you service your 2009/10 when the warranty runs out?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Will all depend on the Thrashing She gets. :chuckle:
I get the impression you should probably be doing it every 600 miles Or 60 launches...whichever comes first:thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re 36 month service Middlehurst will use alternative gearbox oil which saves a small fortune. Also note that their air filters cost over £50 so better to replace with k&n which means they pay for themselves very quickly.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Indeed! That is partly the reason for the thread to gauge this sort of opinion. There seems to be a healthy split on the issue.

However, the cost of the "full" 36000 mile service (I'll be on about 18000 miles by the time it comes around) is substantial. I wonder how many will do everything on the list?
My car had 21500 odd miles on the clock when I did the 36 month recently at Litchfields. Everything was done of course, why would I try to save a few hundred quid when this may come back to bite me either in the form of reduced resale value potentially, or that the car does not perform as planned in some area? If the difference was phenomenal I can see your point especially if you are doing 2k miles per year - however I sold several cars over the last 2-3 years because I wasn't using them enough - I wouldn't bother owning a car that I didn't use regardless of maintenance cost....:D

I think with this one it will be very subjective and a personal choice we all have to make...however if I had to choose between a 6 month serviced car and a 12 month one in a couple of years time then I would choose the 6 month serviced one unless the annual car was substantially cheaper (but I would still probably buy it if you see what I mean).

all imho

·
Registered
485 Posts
I voted annually if less than 6k, realistically I'll probably stretch servicing somewhere between 6months and annually, depending on mileage. The 36k is coming up in August (17200 miles on odo) I'll have done about 2.5 k since last service so will probably stretch it til October/November time where mileage will be more like 3.5/4k since last service

·
Registered
924 Posts
I wonder how many people here run their cars all year round?

For me this is just a summer toy (as it was for the previous and original owner) and spends six months in the garage over the winter. The way the servicing shedule works, mine would have a major service and then be "put to bed" for 6 months. Upon first use, the brand new oil that has covered next to no miles gets dropped out from the full service and replaced with more new oil. No point in my opinion, especially as I have all the previous tax discs to prove it wasn't run over the winter. It seemed sense to me when I bought the car and I hope common sense would prevail if i ever did come to sell.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think that with a car like this even if you don't do lots of miles and you can afford it, I'd go with the 6 month intervals, even if it's just to change the oil. Look on the bright side, I fly and whether you like it or not the service intervals are every 25 flight hours :-(

Ikey

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
This will be interesting, I will be up for the 36 months service soon and was quoted £1199 for the service. Not sure if I will still go for this as my warranty will run out by then anyway or spend the money on Litchfield's 36 month service @ £749 and the warranty...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been told by Middlehurst to spread out my services more as during the week I am doing c 140 miles a day (mostly motorway). As it was I needed two new tyres(nearly down to canvas on inner edge). John was great and kept the place open to get the tyres sorted. He also fitted my wipers only about a tenner for the two. This was pretty essential as the weather has been rubbish most of the time.
They checked my bellhousing and apparently all ok. I will probably be looking at new front brakes next time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have been advised by middlehursts to do every 12 months after 36 month service which concurs with whats written in my owners manual.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My big concern with switching to yearly is resale value, I know when I was looking recently as a newbie to GT-R's I was put off by cars which had missed services even at low mileage.

It does seem daft though, given that the new cars are on a 12mth schedule

·
Registered
167 Posts
My big concern with switching to yearly is resale value, I know when I was looking recently as a newbie to GT-R's I was put off by cars which had missed services even at low mileage.

It does seem daft though, given that the new cars are on a 12mth schedule
It's a problem for me as I don't do a lot of miles due to work , Company car and an adictive motorbike . I'm tempted to go for annual services but resale / residuals come into play , even though I've no intention of selling....

·
Registered
522 Posts
At the time of my cars 36 month service it had been serviced 6 times in 15k miles which quite honestly is ridiculous.I will now be servicing it every 6000 miles or once a year which ever comes first.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine is bought for everyday use. A full on driver using at every opportunity whatever the weather and it still puts a smile a mile wide across my face.
Im not a collector and look at it in the garage person - Im a driver of the best in my opinion Supercar in the world at an affordable price.
As for the service requirements, balanced against the recommendations in the hand book and what actually is done by the car is for me heavily weighted towards annual for me after the warranty and 36k service. Agree with lots of comments on the why 6mthly against their small milage between services. I do less than 3k between services
The essentials of running and servicing had to be taken into consideration but I say to everyone that says to me "thats so high cost to run" - I say "I bought the car because thats what i wanted not what it costs to run or how often it needed serviced or even resale value as i never intend to sell - why would I - I love it and nothing else comes close"!

Annual for me in line with the recommendations of other top garages i have spoken too.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts