GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title says really, whats the maximum boost a standard ecu from a r32 gtst 1993 can handle without the engine running lean.

i was thinking of turning up the boost but dont want to do any damage.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

ash.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive got a speed converter on order, plus i should be getting a boost controer soon those two shouldnt be an issue.

i just wanna know if it will run a bar safely on the stock fueling?

:)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
From what i'm lead to believe, any 'radical' mods to a Skyline, the standard ECU will chuck fuel in bigtime as a failsafe.. this happened to my R32 after i did a few things to it before fitting Power FC..

·
Registered
36 Posts
R32 ecu's can be remapped.. the RB20 turbo will not last too long with 13-14 psi (1 bar)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
to summarise

the stock rb20 turbo has a ceramic exhaust wheel, the general consesus is that this will break due to a combination of heat and revs if you run 1bar (some say anything upto 1 bar is OK). I'd say the safe limit allowing for hot days and cold days is 0.9bar (std is 0.8ish).

at this level of boost the factory ecu will dump alot of fuel in for safety and you'll get crap fuel consumption (i got ~10mpg!) so running lean wont be a problem. the other side effect of running so rich is that you lose a fair amount of power.

so to correct the fuelling you can either fit a piggy back ecu like a SAFC and trick the factory ecu into supplying less fuel or get a mappable full replacement ecu like a Power FC or as bigblue and martinc say get your factory ecu "chipped" or "rewritten" - personally i dont know anyone in the UK that does this for the r32gtst - and i would want to get any "off the shelf" map checked on a dyno as every car is different.

its only once you have a mechanism to fix the fuelling that you need to watch out for running lean and causing damage.

have a read of this thread on SAU and you'll see what power people have made and what mods they used.
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103095

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats excellent, thanks very much for all the replys. so its looks as tho im gona have to re think this.

save up a little more and get wideband maybe or an apexi fc to really make sure things are ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.