GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Just wanting some thoughts on what boost level you think would be safe to run in the following..
r33 gtr, exhaust, pods, mines chip, fuel press. reg, profec b boost cntrl..
I dont run over a bar(14.6psi) on the street but am going to quater mile event and want to know how much is too much :)
Will be running 50:50 mix of av gas and 98 octane.
Any thought on running straight av gas??
Cheers

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
sounds like your gas will be sorted out fine, so really your only worry is snapping the ceramic blades on your turbos. I've hit 1.3bar on my stock turbos, but it was by complete accident while trying to set up my boost controller, and I count myself one lucky bastard that my tubbies are still ok :p

·
Registered
430 Posts
sounds like your gas will be sorted out fine, so really your only worry is snapping the ceramic blades on your turbos. I've hit 1.3bar on my stock turbos, but it was by complete accident while trying to set up my boost controller, and I count myself one lucky bastard that my tubbies are still ok :p
i did that, let me guess didnt disconnect factory boost solonoid? ;)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
naw, I set the boost duty cycle way too high on my Power FC. I'm wondering if my turbos are actually steel - they seem slower to spool than stndard ceramics and they didn't whimper a bit at 1.3bar. Or maybe I'm just trying to fool myself into doing something suicidal for my turbos....

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
ok, just for the sake of argument, *could* my turbos be rebuilt with steel turbines? The only thing I could get out of my mechanic was that they were journal-bearning turbos. Very fresh looking Garrett housings, but couldn't ever get a real good look inside when my engine was being rebuilt. As I imported the car from Japan with 167,000km on the odometer, I am doubtful that these clean-looking turbos are original units.

Anyways, *if* they were rebuilt with steel turbines, and I've got a Tomei 1.2mm head gasket, what boost could you (reasonably) safely run then?

·
Registered
318 Posts
ok, just for the sake of argument, *could* my turbos be rebuilt with steel turbines? The only thing I could get out of my mechanic was that they were journal-bearning turbos. Very fresh looking Garrett housings, but couldn't ever get a real good look inside when my engine was being rebuilt. As I imported the car from Japan with 167,000km on the odometer, I am doubtful that these clean-looking turbos are original units.

Anyways, *if* they were rebuilt with steel turbines, and I've got a Tomei 1.2mm head gasket, what boost could you (reasonably) safely run then?
im sure it will cost alot of money to have your standard turbos uprated. id just buy a pir of new ones.
ive just had a pair of garrett turbos fitted on mine and they cost me £1400 including vat. you can run $hit loads of boost through them as they are ballbearing turbos, im running 1.5bar no probs.
let me know if you want any more info

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
ah, what I'm saying is that I suspect that my turbos are (already) rebuilt, but does a journal-type bearing automatically mean ceramics, or could they be replacement steel wheels? Just trying to see if it was possible...

·
Registered
295 Posts
ah, what I'm saying is that I suspect that my turbos are (already) rebuilt, but does a journal-type bearing automatically mean ceramics, or could they be replacement steel wheels? Just trying to see if it was possible...
the journal bearings your refering to have nothing to so with what material the blades are made from, and replacement shaft /wheel assembly is available

basically, the journal bearings hold the shaft central, (with oil between shaft and bearings) and the way they are designed, means they allow oil to surround the shaft "through" the bearings.

but thats "basically"...

the ceramic exhaust wheel/shaft assembly can be changed, and any good turbo builder will do it for you.
compressor wheel upgrades are also available
please note....do not let your everyday mechanic lose on your turbo unless he has vast experience, many try, and many fail....

carl
G.B Turbo Solutions

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
it's a good bet then that my turbos were replaced with steel? They are clearly rebuilt, and who would rebuild a turbo with a replacement ceramic wheel?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts