GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much increase in Sound Volume would there be by adding a Decat?

Will it make a noticeable difference to make the car louder?

Also same question with Aftermarket downpipes?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Decat depends on the rest of the exhaust. I've done it with a minimal backbox and the difference was marked. I'll bet that with a restrictive (i.e. quiet) backbox the difference would be much smaller.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I was surprised how little extra volume my decat gave (stock downpipe, japspeed decat and apex'i catback). Made it sound much throatier but not really louder, especially once it's warmed up.

I'm a huge fan of unequal length downpipes but that's just my opinion!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Mines equal length Downpipes, i've heard change the sound quite drastically for the better.

Border1 was your Catback originally loud or quiet?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes Mines equal length Downpipes, i've heard change the sound quite drastically for the better.

Border1 was your Catback originally loud or quiet?
My system was never obscenely loud but it was hardly the quietest I've ever driven either. No dB readings but think average sporty bike volumes (not superbike/chopper loud, just your average commuter bike)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. Another question, if I get a loud Catback system, but leave the Cat in, will the Volume decrease dramatically?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I removed the silenced decat and the resonator box so mine is a full true straight through system, It made the car sound abit louder and also pops the odd flame now and then which is a bonus!

Here's a pic of my custom system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts