GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, done a quick search but cant find what I'm after....

My R33 GT-R V-Spec has an oil cooler fitted and I need to do an oil change. How many litres will I need to purchase for and oil change? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Gary

3,666 Posts
you dont drain the oil from the oil cooler when you do a oil and filter , so you should only need the standard refill quantity, but if you blow the oil cooler and pipes out your need approx and extra 1/1.5ltr.

Normally 5 ltrs will be okay for and oil and filter change.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I just changed my girl's oil and she took 7 liters:eek: That's not including the oil cooler:eek: :eek:
I do have a very nice trust oil pan though:chuckle:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
If your not sure, Stick 4 litres in, wait 5 mins and dip it, if its not on the stick put a couple more litres in (or just one litre if your patient), wait, dip, eventually you will get a reading on the stick, do this untill its on the top mark (add 0.5 litres each time), now fire the engine briefly untill the oil light goes out, shut off, wait a bit (about as long as it takes to make a cuppa :) ) check and top up, Most cars need 1 litre to go from the lower to the upper mark on the stick...

on some cars its wise to disable the engine so it will not start, you just crank it untill you get oil pressure. This seems to be more relevant after a full rebuild or a top end job though.

Dont overfill. If its over full and your not going on the track or anything it would be wise to drain a bit back out.

As a mechanic I have to replace oil in lots of cars, And there is no way of really knowing how much they need, Once I have run the car and got the reading about right, i just check it once more after the test drive.

You cant be too carefull...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have the same set up as you and mine takes 5 litres which puts it just above full mark. I always wonder about it though as each time you just mix the old oil in the cooler with the new stuff.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys for your advice.. so it looks to be around the 5 litre mark. I basically need to know so I know how much oil I need to purchase.. I've noticed that when I check the oil from cold (i.e. hasn't been started for a good few hours) the oil is sitting about 3mm above the 'full' line on the dip stick.. I'll make sure it's sitting smack on full in this situation when I change it.

I'm sure I also read somewhere that some guy had the wrong lngth dip stick in his skyline :eek: How can I tell if mine is the correct length? (R33 GT-R V-spec)

Thanks for you help

:runaway: Gary:runaway:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
No idea about the correct length dipstick but i would leave it *just* above the full mark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts