GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as ther title really. considering changing the box my car crunches a little in 5th and sometimes in 4th

As apposed to changing the box, is it cheaper / more efficient to replace the syncros and is this a bitch of a job for a very experianced mechanic?

Its an R32 GTR BTW (1992)

cheers
mart

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Unless it's been done before you'll need at least a grand's worth of parts to upgrade to the R33 style synchros. R32 synchros no longer available AFAIK.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Agree with the above, not a cheap job on an early box.

Rob

·
Administrator
31,602 Posts
have you changed the gearoil? Something like redline shockproof can hide all but the worst crunches

mook

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I can say that Redline Shockproof did the job for me :bowdown1: - hide is not the right term as it just stopped the odd crunch into 5th - hide is when you just turn the stereo up and pretend it isn't happening lol.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
LMFAO!!!!! that is my best mates favourite saying...

I say 'whats that squeak?

'Just turn the stereo up :D

Rob

·
Registered
646 Posts
" ...that's modified car noise "

lol

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put silktran oil in on a recomendation. Was this stuff never going to quieten a crunch like the red line could have?

Im thinking I might just buy a second hand crunch free box and have that fitted - will an r33 gbox go on? I assume not as my clutch was the earlier type (push I think)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
33 box is quite easy to convert to push clutch.

Gear oil can only disguise the crunching, it isnt a synchro fix :)

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what I figured so i put in the good quality silktran stuff.

So thinking about it, the best thing for me to do would be to source a 33 box, get a conversion kit to push type and 'slap' that on.

thanks for the info chaps

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Put redline shockproof heavy in and the crunching will dissapear, i have spoken to many people who have done this and their boxes have lasted for over a year with no probs since !!! Definatly will help if your not running big power (anything over 600hp)

I have done this to mine (it crunched almost every time before) and now I get no crunches at all and still perfectly ok after 4 months.... and im running 578bhp and driving it hard a lot of the time.

fix it when it breaks mate !

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The box hasx crunched for 2 years and not got worse so Im not convinced it will be break anyway.

I want to flog the motor and am thinking I could fix it for completeness. Banging redline in is more of a cover up than a fix isnt it?

However, since it hasnt got anyworse maybe its just a case of improving the driving experiance than covering up a fault. Crunching syncros are common on these cars afterall.

What do you chaps think? As it hasnt got any worse would doing the redline treatment be a cover up or not?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Using Redline or similar is just helping what's left of the synchros do their job IMO...

Putting sawdust in is a cover up; using decent oil in a poorly designed gearbox is making it work :D

If you replaced all your synchros, you'd be back to crunching within a couple of years anyway, I'd guess...

Rog :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
A mate at mork told me to put tractor gear fluid in my gear box!

"that's stuffs like treacle" he said,

Mind you he also told me to put a tractor clutch on my car as well.... Ahh the joys of living in the west country :)

But yeah, as everyone else has said... your looking at around a grand mate, my gear box does the same....

Just learn to double de-clutch i have, saves you money and your mates will think your a right pro! :D

Sev

·
Registered
916 Posts
I can tell you, from personal experience, that the standard parts are no longer available.

If you wish to rebuild your 'box, you'll need about £1200 and a large press, oh........and a few hours to spare.

Regards

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I brought some new old type 5th gear syncros for my gearbox. Old stock left at the back of a main dealers shelf. Still not fitted as a oil change cured the problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts