GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally peeled the nasty bubbled rear tint out of my car today. It came over with it and Ive been real slack about it.

The rear qtrs came out fine, the rear just came apart and has left half the tint all over the glass. It wont peel off and I cant see a thing through it so phoned autoglass to ask about prices.

The woman said it was the most expensive price she had ever seen... 1286 quid!!! :eek: :eek:

Booked it in with RAC on the insurance though so its not that bad afterall.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
what about alcohol, hammerite thinners or white spirit?

Not sure what it'll do to the protective covering on the heater element strips though ... do at your own risk!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive had thinners and white spirit on it, cleaned the glue off a treat but made no difference to the film thats stuck.

I took it to two different tinting places to get an experts opinion.
The first laughed and wished me luck. The second suggested trying a steam cleaner and working my way through it. Neither wanted to do the job!

With literally 90% of the window to pick the stuff off Id rather spend the 50quid and then clean the window up when its out of the car and sell it if its still usable. Id say its going to take at least 5-6 hours to do with my thumbnail!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yunis A said:
I took mine off with a hair dryer
I sat there for an hour with a hair dryer trying to see if it would work and I managed to clear about 2 square inches of it!

Steve, where are you based? Im near Camberley.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Steve, I should be hearding from Autoglass tomorrow so Ill let you know if I dont have any joy.

Kingsley, Ill keep a look out! :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Autoglass are now saying they wont do it as its wear and tear?! :confused:

Im a bit apprehensive about putting a brick through it just to get it replaced though!!!

Steve, what sort of thing would you say may be able to help me? Ive asked at tinting places if there was anything that would disolve the film but they werent sure.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
You need a good quality window cleaner (not the foaming type) and a couple of brand new double sided razor blades. Then it's all down to technique and about half an hour or so's patience.

This is a vey general assumtion, based on the limited facts of your predicament. If you've got some pics, pm me and I'll get you my email address, and have a better opportunity to asses the work.

Cheers:D

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will get pics done tonight Steve, thanks.

I was apprehensive of using a blade due to the heating elements?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts