Votes: 0 0.0%
  • my Skyline is a driveway ornament

Votes: 6 5.5%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"break down", as in becoming undrivable until repairs are done.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It never has (touch wood), but I've AA rescue just in case!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
No breakdowns here :)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Well theres always one in the garage! :D:nervous:

I certainly wouldnt put reliability as one of the big Nissans strong points, certainly not on the Honda level anyway.

·
6,821 Posts
AJFleming said:
Well theres always one in the garage! :D:nervous:

I certainly wouldnt put reliability as one of the big Nissans strong points, certainly not on the Honda level anyway.
Nissan has mega reliable engines (N/As mainly) , GAs, Sr20DE, RB20DEs are running 300000km, even if serviced bad, they run.:thumbsup:
But yeah Honda has put all engines above the standard reliable level.

If you look at the point that VW, Audi small engines never have much power, don't rev high, Nissan 200Hp 1.6 and 2.0s are Hightec when you imagine they run over 300000km usually.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You havent read my post correctly, I didnt say other nissans I said 'the big nissan' meaning the Skyline. Ofcourse, Micra's, Sunny's, Almera's etc. are generally incredibly reliable, infact I think the Micra is statistically the most reliable car ever!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The skyline never has failed me as of yet *touches wood*, but then i have only had it since the start of may

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
One of the turbo's thought it would be a good idea to go through the engine a couple of months after I bought it.
One rebuild [R34 bottom end uprated internals, thanks sammy], a pair of R34 turbos [thanks Tim] and an HKS oil pump [thanks GTC] later and the car is happy.
Only problem since that was oxidisation on a battery terminal. Easily sorted :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Coming up to 2 years of ownership & thankfully no breakdowns, car is maintained by Abbey/RK tuning. Mot'd at local Ferrari service garage who ignore the emissions for a crisp £50 note!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Well technically it's only rendered itself undriveable, and required rescuing, twice in 2.5 years - once when the engine blew a couple of weeks after I got it, and once in July when the gearbox blew.

Ive chosen to take it off the road for various other reasons, changing the intake gaskets for example, but that doesnt count as breaking down.

A few little niggly things have happened, ABS light coming on intermittently, passenger airvent disintegrating, hunting idle, flat battery, blown bulbs - but again you cant count those as breakdowns either.

It's 17 years old, its not going to be faultless is it :clap:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I've had my car for 3year.... been on and off the road for most of the time. just started to drive it about 2weeks ago :rolleyes:

Main reason for this is modification and chassis work being done to the car.

But it has only broken down one time... when i lost oil pressure.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
3 different skylines, 6 years of owning and driving them and (discounting a flat battery and dodgy coil pack) I have never had a break down. (touch wood ;) )

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I've only ever had one problem and that was a water pipe splitting behind the head, apart from that, for a 17year old car(not that there is much original left anymore) it's as good as one could expect.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Apart from a flat battery when i havent used the car for ages,ive only had one problem which was the clutch slave cylinder.

·
6,821 Posts
Actually I am just thinking that in this thread we should separate tuned from standard cars . . . . there are hundreds of tuned engines that have problems, just because when they were tuned, the tuner made mistakes(or over-bad tuned) . . . wich has nothing to do with Nissan.
But as I see in the poll, even the tuned ones seemed to have never failed . .:clap:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It's never been undriveable. Had an AFM problem when I first got it, couple that with a dodgy battery and it did leave me stranded on the M25! Apart from that and shagged #6 piston last year, its been very reliable:)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
in 4 years only rendered undrivable because of a dead battery after leaving it for the winter. Recently the AFM went down, affecting idle, and before that the usual manifold studs breaking, but these didn't stop me using it.

The most reliable car I have owned - even beating my K11 Micra which refuses to start if you've started it just to move it the previous day. Oh and now it has a noisy wheel bearing...oh and play in the steering...and I think it needs new plug leads and/or rotor arm (remember those?!) :D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
As with any Supercar, [especially a 12 year old one] if you drive it as it's meant to be driven - you are inevitably going to get reliability issues.

Every time I put my foot down, I am always amazed that with the power it generates the whole car doesn't just blow itself to bits!!!

I got ten clear journeys last month without a single component failure.. :D

So yeah for a supercar I consider my BNR32 [which is pushing out over 420 brake] to be quite reliable!!

:p

1 - 20 of 46 Posts