GTR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I stripped my engine down I was getting a little blue smoke and oil usage. I had thought this might be due to the turbo oils seals being past there best, but with the engine apart it seems oily on the inside - which would be pre-turbo.

so now I am thinking that the turbo may be fine, but I don't want to put it back on and have to take it off again because it has a problem as well.

is there anyway I can check it or is it a case of sending it away for checking?

many thanks

Simon

·
Registered
190 Posts
With a correctly installed turbo, oil should never really leak out of the turbo because the pressure inside the turbo bearing housing should always be the same or lower than the pressure behind compressor and turbine wheels.

An oily turbo is invariably due to internal pressure buildup, which usually means something wrong with the oil drain and vent return to the sump. Or it may be severe piston ring blowby pressurising the whole sump (and turbo).

A tired engine can not only have severe blowby, it can dump all the oil fumes via the PCV into the induction system, making it look like the turbo compressor seal is leaky.

Another cause of severe oil leakage with ball bearing turbos can be excessive oil volume into the turbo. There absolutely must be an oil restriction orifice in the oil line to the turbo.

I would just clean up the turbo and replace it onto your freshly rebuilt engine. Chances are pretty good that there will be absolutely nothing wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the turbo isn't oily at all, but the engne was using a little oil and there was some blue smoke on revs.

I'm going to put the turbo back on - it's on a high mount manifold so it is easy enough to change it if I need to later.

thanks

Simon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.