GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Iv seen an BNR32 RB26DETT complete with everything such as turbos, pipe work, the works. perfect for me as i only need to by a few bits then to get it in.

It looks very low mileage and so clean, could eat your dinner off it. All the rockers and inlet still painted in factory unmarked gunmetal and engine is as it left the factory even down to the injectors and turbos.

My question is, how can i know if this engines a gooden or not..

If i buy it and have it put in, all my moneys put into to it so last thing i want to do is shell out nearly £3k for an engine and on start up.. theres a problem.

Thought id ask someone on here who probably buys engines out of a car regularly.

The guy selling i wont name but he sells GTR's and oother jap cars and has a selection of other engines for sale all on palets in the warehouse, so he looks legit. Buys his engines from Japan.

Iv never bought an engine before thats been stood without hearing it so need advice on what to do..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha i thought somebody might say that.

He offered to compression test it if need be and he said he'd provide a start up warranty which is more reassuring.

Iv seen this engine for sale for atleast 9 months, and thats without however long it was taken out of this R32 GTR in Japan..

Just wondered if a compression test is going to be that accurate if its been stood for ages..?

I know these engines are bullet proof, its just alot of money to buy on wimm.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
My advice is, unless you can hear it running assume there is an issue with it.
Perform a leak down test and remove the sump and inspect the bearings.

·
Registered
503 Posts
from your description...if its greg cotton from road n race it will be sound...dead fair... dead straight... bought loads of bits for skydat... and he knows what hes talking about... although anybody can be unlucky with an engine...check it out as best you can...but he don't buy junk, so I think your as safe as you can be buying a secondhand engine

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Hes definately a good guy, Iv bought R34 GTR panels and bits off him ready for the body conversion, so i had a good look round it when i was up there and it seems great.

Just never bought an engine before thats all without hearing it.

Il have a think and weigh up the options.

Bottom line is theres only a few of the engines that come up for sale and id rather it come from a reputable member or company. Putting a lot of money into this car so cant afford any major problems.

·
Registered
743 Posts
rb

why dont you get him to put it in and set up ,then you have some comeback ??

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Speak to Newera, have patience, spend a bit more and have peace of mind.

They used to do Nur engines landed for about 4.3k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts