GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I will be changing the oil, filters and plugs @ the weekend can anyone give me any tips on getting at the plugs on my R33 GTS25t? I know they're living under that black cover between the cams but do you have to take off the intake pipework to get it off?? Looks a bit of an ar5e to me. :(
It's picked up a slight missfire over the last few days and I'm hoping the plugs will sort it. Let's hope so...
Sometimes when you let off the revs it dips to about 500 and then comes back up to 8/900 ish. Hasn't cut yet and it still pops when changing up (is that good?) and it still seems to pull well.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
For the RB25DET

Excellant find on the previous thread Moschops, but I've split it away as this is a good un on it's own. :D

Undo the jubilee clip around the crossover pipe near the throttle body, and undo the jubilee clip at the other end, where it joins the IC hard pipe. There are two bolts going through the alloy casting holding it onto the head, remove these. Undo the jubilee clip on the BOV return pipe, and pull the metal pipe free. There are some (4 I think) 10mm vaccum pipes going over to the plenum, you'll need to undo these also.

Then grip the crossover pipe with two hands, leaning into the engine bay from the PX side, and pull it towards you and up at the same time, so as to release it from the throttle assembly and turn it 90º.

Now, undo the cables going into the ignition amplifier, and tuck them out of the way between the block and firewall.

Remove the (6 or 8) allan screws from the cover plate, and the cover plate.

The ignition coils are placed in banks of three, it's best to remove the whole bank, rather than trying to remove individual coils. You'll find that the wiring between them is held in place with little metal flexible clips, just unroll them to free the wires without removing the cables from the coils. To remove the coils, you'll notice they are bolted into an alloy ladder (for want of a better description) with two bolts either end + 1 in the middle of each bank. remove the bolts, and carefully pull the whole bank off of the plugs, and lay it to the side.

Now you can see the plugs........You'll want a little vaccum cleaner to get all the dust out of there before you remove them though. :D

Reverse the above to put it all back together. ;)

Oh, That's from memory, so may be a little bit off with the numbers. If in doubt, ask :D

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JasonO!

That's going to be extremely useful. I thought it would be quite a job - all part of the fun though eh!

Cheers.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks for that I thought you were bout to have a go at sparkys (electricions) just then.....

I'll tell you what tho it's easyer to change the plugs in me micra !...if only someone would of fitted the bonnet hinges on the right side !!

E

postin cause of bordom !! - sorry mod's !

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Spare a thought for me dude .. after changing plugs I'm gonna change the cambelt .. oh joy :D :p

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Eyore said:
Thanks for that I thought you were bout to have a go at sparkys (electricions) just then.....
I assume that electricions was an intended pun :p

My old Electronics instructor at engineering school always used to comment, 'The best electrician I ever trained, was a fitter'. ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wish it was....

a pun i just cant spell ! to much solder smoke !! me thinks !

A "fitter" ??? what fitter than who ???

Id better go and fix some tellys now than add to this customers waitin !

E

(mmmm no comment bout the signature yet !!)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh and ive just remberd..... Ive got to start thinkin bout changin my belts on me Pulsar soon ?!?!? have you seen how small the space is under there !

at least the bit your after is faceing you !! mind you its easy on the van !

Good luck....... may the force be with you....dan0h

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Eyore said:
Oh and ive just remberd..... Ive got to start thinkin bout changin my belts on me Pulsar soon ?!?!? have you seen how small the space is under there !

at least the bit your after is faceing you !! mind you its easy on the van !

Good luck....... may the force be with you....dan0h
Thanks Eyore .. the access doesnt look that bad on the Skyline, I'd like to avoid pulling the rad out if I can but I think I may have too... Didnt realise you purchased Tiggers Pulsar - good on ya!! :D

I did take a look under the bonnet when we had a pulsar up here belonging to a customer, it was left here for a while when he was away. Just as storage. I say this about the cambelt on it ... rather you than me :D

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Moschops said:
As I will be changing the oil, filters and plugs @ the weekend can anyone give me any tips on getting at the plugs on my R33 GTS25t? I know they're living under that black cover between the cams but do you have to take off the intake pipework to get it off?? Looks a bit of an ar5e to me. :(
It's picked up a slight missfire over the last few days and I'm hoping the plugs will sort it. Let's hope so...
Sometimes when you let off the revs it dips to about 500 and then comes back up to 8/900 ish. Hasn't cut yet and it still pops when changing up (is that good?) and it still seems to pull well.
What's happened with the misfire? With my whale, gapping the plugs to 0.9 helped. Out of the box - despite being supposedly pre-gapped - the gaps varied from 0.9 to 1.3 :eek: In Spec2's car, it developed a misfire after we tried to clean the engine bay, as a couple of the little screws in the valley cover are missing, so there were holes for water to get in, and it was sitting around one of the plugs.

Just as long as it's not like my misfire story :(

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As things turned out I didn't get to do it (my lad's birthday amoungst other things - and I still have a functioning priority gland).
Today it seemed a bit better, well it was never VERY noticeable. Perhaps i'm just listening/looking for things. Being on a budget does make me a bit paranoid!
Could be the good run with the Porsche last night cleaned it out. I just cruise to and from work - does pootling about in them affect how they run?
Got it booked in at RB next week so we'll see what the crack is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
JasonO said:
Oh, Hiya Raph.....Nice to see you up here Dude :)
Heya matey, long time no see. Saw a pic of your car in the photog. contest - that's a niiice looking whale :eek: :) :eek: :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts