GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a part the engine I bought to put in my 1970 240z. The engine came from a 1994 R32 GTR and it had 32K mile on it. I took the engine a part to inspect it and I want to put new rings and bearings in it. Did the factory use a block plate when honing? What would be the best way to hone the block? Also, any one have any rebuild tips or tricks? What would you do if you had your engine a part for a rebuild ( any mods or??)

Thanks for any help!!!

Dan

The old rings and bearing were in great shape, but I just want to freshen it up since it's apart.

·
Registered
272 Posts
the question should not be how , but why , if it aint broke dont fix it I say , if you are not putting in new pistons its not worth it , the old rings will be fine although changing the bearings wont hurt .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Since the engine is opened up and taken a part, and I put the piston back in with the old rings, will everything be fine even if the rings may have shifted on the pistons from their orginal positions? I alway thought new rings couldn't hurt if the engine is taken a part. (i.e. blow by and wear) Is this a common practice for engine builders?

Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
as for honing tool, you can buy a special circular tool, which is like a spiral with abrasive sand paper, which you put into a normal drill and push it up and down the bore.....that should remove the glazing from the bores, and be ready to fit the piston with new rings. But make sure you soak the pistons in something like engine cleaner, so any dirt in the gooves for the rings is clean glaze / dirt free.

·
Registered
961 Posts
dan

an engine company called lycoming(aircraft engines)
built a completly crear engine glass plastic and other wiered
stuff but they proved that the piston rings move and spin in the groves so it doesnt matter if you stagger them or not

i personly would say if you have spare cash then replace the rings for nice new ones
or go the full hog and re bore the engine

if it ant broke dont fix it but if its going to break replace it !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts