GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What method do you us when installing the harmonic damper. I got a ATi Damper and the manual says to use a harmonic damper installation tool. I can't seem to be able to find a Nissan suitable tool to install the damper, all I find is installation tools for small block chevys. I was going to just thread the crank bolt in but not sure if this is the proper way plus I'll have to find a tool to hold the flywheel.

Let me know,

Thanks
Mitch

·
Registered
423 Posts
what kind of torque setting is the pulley bolt?
could you just use a prybar in the flywheel teeth to lock the flywheel so you can torque it up?

i dont know what the procedure is for installing harmonic dampers though

·
Registered
160 Posts
You're going to need a good flywheel locking tool mate, the torque setting for the bolt is between 329 and 344lb/ft. Effin tight in other words.....

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
just so i understand, this damper tool is to hold the pulley locked so you can tighten the bolt?

Can you not just lock the the flywheel, prop etc or is that the wrong way of doing it?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
the tool inserts where the starter motor is through the bolt holes and locks on the flywheel using grooved teeth like that of the starter this stops the engine moving

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not the torque on the crank bolt that I'm worried about, that can be done with a 3/4" torque wrench (I can't find a 1/2" that goes that high). I'm worried about the installation of the damper itself. I can hold the flywheel with a prybar and a scrapped flywheel. I was thinking of just getting the damper on and tightening the bolt but I sure thats the wrong way. For the tool, I just wondering if theres a Nissan tool for installing dampers.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i would do what you did to be honest or use a plastic hammer and lightly tap equally around the front of the damper, it shouldn't be that tight

·
Registered
519 Posts
The damper tool is a universal tool,that pushes the damper on to the crank square and true.
You then are faced with the tightening of the crank bolt.
Most people just very carefully tap it on with the appropriate mallet,can it go wrong,yes,does it,not very often.
Also remember to lightly oil the damper bore and crank snout.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm in the same situation right now and I got my puller machined by a friend...

... for the fitting you can simply use a metal bar, a thread rod (same thread size as the fixing bolt), a suitable nut and some oil. This should do the trick too.

BTW, the pulley fixing bolt, is it a standard thread (so you open it counterclockwise) or a left handed thread (so you open it clockwise)???

Cheers,

Leo

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
It un-does anticlockwise just as a normal bolt does.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea it's removal only. The installers look like they have a release beaing almost and a threaded rod. I think I may have also found a threaded rod, there was a post in this thread about that, so I'm just copying the idea!!!

Mitch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts